Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Donkeys theory of the War

armourersergeant

I have in mind a few books that advance the donkeys theory, can anyone see any additions I could add to it.

The Donkeys by Clarke.

British Butcher and Bunglers by Laffin.

Lloyd-George's two volume memoirs

The Real War, 1914-1918 by Liddell Hart

Haig's Command by Denis Winter

History of the First World War by Liddell Hart

regards

Arm

Arm, I think you could add Prior and Wilson's books (the two that I have read):

Command on the Western Front

Passchendaele: the Untold Story

Robert

But why would you want to, Arm?

Light blue touchpaper and sit back....... :ph34r:

I have in mind a few books that advance the donkeys theory, can anyone see any additions I could add to it.

The Donkeys by Clarke.

British Butcher and Bunglers by Laffin.

Lloyd-George's two volume memoirs

The Real War, 1914-1918 by Liddell Hart

Haig's Command by Denis Winter

History of the First World War by Liddell Hart

regards

Arm

" The Great War Generals", Robin Neillands. He tries to disprove the donkeys theory but , in my view, fails. The phrase ' damned with faint praise ' springs to mind.

Are you starting an anti-revisionist revival? It might be fun to start looking for new evidence of the culpability of Haig et al. Silly me! What would we want evidence for.

I think the anti-revisionist-movement (ARM..?) is a long way off. It will take a generation for the current orthodoxy to run its course. Send me a psychic text message to the other place in thirty years and let me know. At the moment I feel that the 'donkey' supporters are seen as the heretics and are steadily being identified, rounded up and burned at the stake.

(waiting for the midnight visit..)

Withcall

:o

I think the anti-revisionist-movement (ARM..?) is a long way off. It will take a generation for the current orthodoxy to run its course. Send me a psychic text message to the other place in thirty years and let me know. At the moment I feel that the 'donkey' supporters are seen as the heretics and are steadily being identified, rounded up and burned at the stake.

(waiting for the midnight visit..)

Withcall

:o

mmmm...... missed one eh? Oi! You there! Start chopping firewood! Where did I put my scary hood?

You know, you can't have history without contraversy or orthodoxy ... it can't be done. I, for one, don't subscribe to the "Donkeys" theory except when talking about Generals I don't like. Not that my opinion amounts to a "hill of beans" but, there are certain schools of historical figures I am inclined to believe were incompetent or just bad ...

Now much of this all depends on how wide a brush you use to paint History. What do you have to cover and in how long? The finer the detail the more likely we are to have complex understanding of the figures involved.

The more we know, the more blatant labels don't work .. that's why we have names ...

So, no stake and hood ... Look at CNN today .... (American version) there's a story where the 10 Worst blunders of the American Presidency are listed by some group of "historians" ... in Kansas or somewhere where school revolves around pigskin ... James Buchannon is listed as worst because of his inability to avert the Civil War ... Historical Weirdness ...Donkeys, Misunderstood Men on a Mission, Slow Learners or Doing the Best with what they had when they had it .... they're just people ...

Years ago the pendulum was on "donkeys", now it is in "fine commanders", and the tide may yet turn again and again: as always, the historical truth may lie... somewhere in the middle?

Gloria

mmmm...... missed one eh? Oi! You there! Start chopping firewood! Where did I put my scary hood?

Watch the scary hood, old boy......ASBOs abound.

But why would you want to, Arm?

Light blue touchpaper and sit back....... :ph34r:

When putting a list together of books to read I realsied that I was very biased to the non donkey fraternity! Just rying to address the balance!

After all if LG is on your side then your on the wrong side!

Thanks Pals for the additions. Enoch great reply and very apt, if a little simplistic. Andy couldn't agree more they were men doing the best they could, not always effective, but they too served.

regards

Arm

Try 'The Psychology of Military Incompetence' (come off the fence...!) by Norman Dixon. Not exclusively Great War, but a couple of impassioned chapters. Also, 'Cannon Fodder' by A. Stuart Dolden (what would he know, he was only there...)

Gregor Dallas "1918" proposes (unconvincingly) that Pershing was a donkey.

Gregor Dallas "1918" proposes (unconvincingly) that Pershing was a donkey.

Gregor Dallas proves the theroy that Donkeys are not limited to the battle field. Andy

How about adding...

The Official History of the War: Military Operations, France & Belgium 1915, 1916 (two volumes) and 1917 (three volumes)

Ooops, slaps wrist :D

Actually, this string has finally hit me ... Most of my life I lived the Lost Cause Dream ... I went so far as to go to the official Lost Cause College ... if I ever were to have a tatoo on my butt, it would say "Longstreet was a Republican" ... When I read the Lee Revisionists not only did I sputter in anger but refused to read any of that "school" till the Revisionists of the Revisionists made their debut.

When it matters enough to become Orthodoxy ... I mean part of the foundation one builds one's picture of the world, upon ... it's time to examine how much is emotion and/or childhood myth or MGM history ...

I had a long discussion this Sunday who honestly believed the US won the WWII and everyone else was a minor player ... (that's MGM History)

Well, part of me wants to believe in DH ... it's like WW "Our Boys died for something that vastly transcends the outcome of the war" ... I want to think it was worth it ... and a good man led us ... and we really were fighting for the Right (etc. etc. etc.) ...

But, you know, we grow up ... and we see things a little more clearly in that there are NO clear answers. (well, one ... er two, but that's for a different Forum)

I am in the midst of Kitchener's War (so far a good book!) and it seems he knew his shortcomings and proceeded on ... so we're back to "blaming" Asquith who is a guy I want to like if for no other reason but he was stabbed by DLG ...

So ... we have all this emotional Good Guy / Bad Guy baggage we bring to history ... and it all comes down to ... rooting for Hector, doesn't it. (but I hated Achilles before it was Brad pit in a leather skirt)-

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the midst of Kitchener's War (so far a good book!) and it seems he knew his shortcomings and proceeded on ... so we're back to "blaming" Asquith who is a guy I want to like if for no other reason but he was stabbed by DLG ...

It interests me to wonder how well the politicians spun WW1 and put the blame on the Generals when it was a politician who declared war in the first place? Can we really believe that the Generals received a fair press when the slippery individuals who resided in Westminster were at home and shifting bame onto anyone not present and able to defend themselves when such "artistry" was just beginning with the development of the media?

What is this Donkey theory? Could someone please give me a concise run down on it. I will google it and see what I come up with, until then...

Sherree

That the (brave) Lions (i.e. ordinary soldiers) were commanded by a load of Donkeys (who did not know their A$%£ from their elbows).

Is that concise enough :D ?

Rgds

Andy

Yes, thankyou.

Any of the books listed in the first post will give you a version of the theory. The first on the list gives the topic its title. If you wish to see the theory being debated, make a post saying " Haig was good" or " Haig was bad". Stand well back and borrow some flame-retardant underwear from a racing driver. :ph34r: