Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service medals, ribbons, badges and flags

Muerrisch

This is a bit unkind, because the book was published in 1916, and I think several pals have a copy of the Badges part [all parts seem to have been issued as separate 6d paperbacks during the war]. The hard-back is a scarce beast, and I found mine via abebooks in Oz, and, including carriage, it set me back £20. There is another copy in France but that one, when I looked, would set you back almost £100.

It is a cracking good mine of information ....... not the most accurate but very very readable and a period piece. Dozens of pp. of coloured ills. and even Boy Scout patrol flags [not my beloved Otters, who seem not to have been invented then]. All I can say is, if you can get hold of one at a decent price, go for it. There must be dozens in attics I suppose.

His later revised & enlarged editions of Ribbons & Medals became the Bible of most pre 1980s Medal Collectors,with their fine colour Ribbon Charts of World Ribbons,@ that time an unprecendented work & extremely useful,Using the penname "Taffrail":

Dorling was also a fine story teller;in the G A Henty/Captain F S Brereton style;with many WW1 era novellettes of the High Seas Fleet,which one finds now & again @ Jumble sales & Car Boot sales.always worth a read.......

Tapprell Dorling was awarded the DSO in the Great War & was a founding member of the OMRS,who I believe purchased his Orders & Decorations when they came up for Auction in the 1980s

Yes, his ' ..... Ribbons ....' has been worn tatty by use over the tears, and is on my 'first priority' shelf. Mine is the edition with 74 and 75 transposed, SA 1834 ... 79 and IGS captions '**** about face'.