Number: 33523

Born: Ironbridge, Staffs

Enlisted: Liverpool

Residence: not shown

Date died: 24/10/1917

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary notes: Formerly 9939, Liverpool Regiment

Any information on Liverpool Regiment and why would Bertram transfer?

John

I can only speculate on this. His Liverpool number is low, suggesting he was in action early in the war. He was probably wounded and, when fit to return to duty, was transferred to the Cheshires who will have been in greater need of replacements. His Cheshires service number suggests the transfer was in early 1916.

John

there were a lot of liverpool lads in the cheshires and vice versa,the tranmere company of the cheshire regt was only a stones throw from liverpool,at tranmere,he could have requested a transfer for family ties,bernard

Hi John

My Grandad started in the Kings and went to the Cheshires. It's only his discharge certificate that shows that he was in the Kings. Yet his MIC says he was Labour Corps. I think he was moved from the Kings to the Cheshires due to his size as he was too short for the Kings is this a possibility for your relative.

Liz

Hi John

My Grandad started in the Kings and went to the Cheshires. It's only his discharge certificate that shows that he was in the Kings. Yet his MIC says he was Labour Corps. I think he was moved from the Kings to the Cheshires due to his size as he was too short for the Kings is this a possibility for your relative.

Liz

Hi Liz, thanks for your reply, I read about this earlier on they were called Bantams because of their size, I have actually emailed the site below for further info

http://www.cheshire-regiment.com/index1.htm

John

Hi John

I mailed that sight too. I'm quite interested in one of the photographs on there as it looks like a young version of my Grandfather although I think I might just be imagineing it!

Liz