chrisharley9

can any Pal help me please with this MIC

1. Is the renumbering due to the renumbering exercise in the TF

2. Is WR the abbrev for Waterways & Railways RE

3. What is in the remarks column

All The Best

Chris

frank_dean.doc

1. Is the renumbering due to the renumbering exercise in the TF Would seem the most probable answer.

2. Is WR the abbrev for Waterways & Railways RE YES.

3. What is in the remarks column ?????

Haven't a clue about the "Remarks" Sorry.

Mark.

cheers for the answer

All the best

Chris

The range 610001 to 630000 "belongs" to the 19th Londons so it fits with him being renumbered in early 1917 to that number.

Remarks may be a date but what the context would be I can't say.

Steve.

Remarks looks like a date, a check of the medal roll may throw some light on it's relevance.

Steve

Thanks to you all for the answers so far

Chris

Chris

Yes, Yes and I have no idea.

I don't have this man on my 19th Londons database because he doesnt appear on the 19th London medal rolls. However I do have several numbered either side whose enlistment dates I have from the SWB rolls:

Pte GRAY, Edward, 5538 and 612005 enlisted 08/03/1916

Pte CHILDS, James Frederick, 5551 and 612012 enlisted 09/03/1916

I would say that your man probably enlisted on 9 March 1916. He almost ceratinly attested under the Derby Scheme in late 1915.

regards

Charles

Charles

thank you for that answer which I will pass on to Frank's grandson

All The Best

Chris

thank you for that answer which I will pass on to Frank's grandson

Chris,

My pleasure. Is there any chance you could please ask his grandson if he has any further info that I could put into the database? I am trying to do a social history analysis of the battalion. I have a lot on the 1914/15 men, but not much on those who I know joined in 1916 onwards. Every little snippet helps. I'm particularly interested in the following:

• DOB
  • Place of Enlistment
  • Place of Residence
  • NOK/marital status
  • Occupation
  • Employer
  • Height

regards

Charles

Charles

I have e mailed my mate & will let you know the results in due course

Chris

Charles

some of the info on Frank Dean from my friend

He was born on 7/7/1896, although he may not have known that! Sometime in the 50’s he discovered that he was 3 years older than he thought but it’s not known how or when the discrepancy arose. He was born as Frank Skeats but by 1901 was known as Frank Dean. The change appears to have taken place in 1899, but again the reason isn’t known for certain. He was fostered as a child, ended up on training ship “Exmouth” moored at Grays, Essex from 2/3/1910 to 6/11/1912. On leaving this he joined the Merchant Navy aboard SS Highland Rover of Nelson Line working between London and South America. There the trail ends.

At the time of the war he had no known relatives and was not married. He was short, probably 5’3”. After the war he went into the building trade, but whether he was returning to it or whether he was assisted by his father in law I don’t know. Sometime during the war he was the victim of a gas attack which left him with bad eyes for the rest of his life.

All The Best

Chris

Chris, many thanks to you and your friend - that is useful info indeed.

One possible scenario: If he was gassed when serving with the 19th that would almost certainly have been at Bourlon Wood at the end of November 1917. He would then have been tfd to the RE sometime in 1918 after recovering.

If his service record and/or ministry of pensions records survive they may shed more light.

Charles

Charles

You are very welcome & thanks for what you have provided

Chris