Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry Photo - Identify Unit

scruth

This is from an old family group photo - oddly enough see my other post.

The cap badge looks like the 17th Lancers to me, the puttees, lanyard and spur, with no campaign medals could mean it's either early in the war (and he's a regular) or ???

What date do we think this is ?

And the collar dogs look like cap badges - I know other units often elaborated their uniforns in non-standard ways - what's the view.

What do the experts think ?

And be gentle with me...

Simon

post-10988-1140211658.jpg

Certainly looks like a skull and bones but it also looks, well almost as if its been added onto the photo. They look to bold! or is it me?

regards

Arm

Am

My second post and already in trouble.

You cynic you, but there's no money in this.

I agree, it's a brilliant badge shape - the other post's badge is not so clear. However, unless my great grandmother had Photoshop at the time the postcard was printed - and its a standard WWI postcard photo of a big group and a Taxi, I'll stick with the questions and believe its genuine. The actual figure is only 2 inches tall on the postcard, and it looks very skull & crossbones. Those photos do scan in well.

Thanks again.

Simon

I'd agree with Arm. Not uncommon to see medals added (certainly posthumous VC's), so I would guess that adding a badge wasn't unknown. If they are genuine, then could be post-War, as collar dogs for o.r.s came in post-War.

I stand corrected, but then cynic is my middle name.

So it looks like skull and cross bones to me

regards

Arm

General consensis is 17th Lancers and the collar dogs are correct for this regiment. They were of a simply smaller size, but never worn on service dress.

He "embellsihed" for the picture.

Collar dogs were worn by both OR's and officers prior to WWI, but only in full dress, not service dress, by OR's.

DrB