The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

V.A.D

Guest Pete HOOK

Hi all

I am new to all of this so hope I am not making a boo boo if so sorry.

According to the funeral notice in The Sussex Express dated the 15 November 1918 my g g aunt Harriet Hook was a V.A.D. As she was born married and died in the Herstmonceux E. Sussex area I assume her V.A.D. work would have been in this area, could it have been Hellingly Hospital that is if it was used as a military hospital. Would be pleased to hear anything about the V.A.D.s in this area What they did where they did it etc.

Pete Hook

peh.so418et@btopenworld.com

Pete, I having been researching WW1 serving female casualties for some while and have virtually all of the names including VAD's. Your gg aunt Harriet Hook isn't amongst them. The only Hook that I have is that of Florence M. Louisa Hook, nursing assistant, QAIMNS. Could your gg aunt served under her maiden name?

You may find that part of the Hurstmonceux Castle estate was turned over to a hospital during WW1. The owner, Colonel Claude Lowther MP, was very active in recruiting in the area.

You could try a wild shot at cross referencing the "Harriets" on the national archives with Jims casualty lists. Might work.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

Doc

My "manuscript" is on Word and is searchable. I could find no other Harriets or Harrietts to tie in. But Pete has given me the full wording of the obituary part of which reads "(at the funeral) there were several members of the local V.A.D. of which the deceased was a member". Quite categorical I would say. What I think has happened is that Harriet fell ill and felt it correct to resign/withdraw from the VAD. She subsequently died and because she was no longer a member missed the official returns. So she did not make it to CWGC status or have her name on the York Minster panels.