Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WFA Web site

Ralph J. Whitehead

I went to the old WFA site a few minutes ago and I was surprised to see that the site has changed quite a bit. I was however disappointed that an article I provided to them on researching soldiers in the German army has been removed along with all similar articles.

I am not sure why this was done and in my opinion it does not show a good use of the resource. While I am personally disappointed I am also annoyed that the reference guides I had relied upon are now missing. It will only force me to come back to this site even more (not that I am complaining about that).

Ralph

I was never impressed by the site; I could not post/reply to the forum; and my emails to different addresses asking about joining the WFA (mainly so I could receive Stand To!) were never answered.

So I am happily stuck in my listening post with the Baker Pals.

Peter (on course in Ottawa)

Until recently, the WFA website was built and maintained by volunteers within the ranks of the membership. I began it, way back in about 1996 or so. Veterans might remember the terrible URL that ended with /cf_baker! John Whalley took over in about 1998 and did a superb job. It was in this era that your research material was added, Ralph. I came in again in July last year in a rescue act as John had had to step down some time before. Out of neglect WFA was in imminent danger of the site disappearing (domains not being renewed, web space contract up, etc). However I retired in March.

WFA has since "outsourced" the web site to professionals, and it is since that change that the very considerable redesign to the blue layout has taken place. The site is, I believe, under the management of Martin Hornby and Michelle Young of WFA.