Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Bantams

Guest tess

Hi, I'm very new to this so please be gentle!

I'm trying to locate any information about my great great grandfather, all I know is that he served in the Buffs, Bantam division during WWI his name was Valentine Smith, he left the army after the war, and although I have been told he gained service medals I don't know where he served of what he did.....Does anyone know where I might go from here?

Thanks

Tessa

Have you tried searching for his Medal Index Card at the National Archives online? That might give you some more information with regards to his unit and will tell you what medals he would have been entitled to.

Have a read at the Long Long Trail mother site (link at top of this page) it will give you good pointers.

Barrie

Tess,

The link below takes you the medal index cards of all of the Valentine Smiths (registered with this facility)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Spec=score+desc

The 1st entry is Valentine Reginal Smith - East Kent Regiment (The Buffs)

Here is the link to his medal index card that you can download for £3.50

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=21

The medal index card will look similar to this:

Hope this helps and your research goes well

Tom McC

post-10175-1140176323.jpg

I think this could be his medal card, although there are a few. Do you know if he had a middle name, this man is Valentine Reginald Smith, the only one from the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) that I can see.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=21

Barrie

Tom - we obviously have too much time on our hands :D

THanks Guys, I'm sure I've down loaded this before (just looking through a mountain of paper) its the "reginald" that throws me, nobody can remember him having a middle name?

I'm going to down load again now anyway, and see if it helps.................

T

Hi Tess,

It may well be that he had a middle name and never used it. I had a look under V Smith in the Buffs, and V R Smith was the closest hit :)

Have you tried for his birth certificate? That could clear up the middle name issue for you.

Barrie

:blink: Ok Got it !! (was actually stored away safely in my PC so didn't have to pay again )

he was awarded Victory and star medals (theres a numbher 15 infront of the star and a X after the vistory) and It looks like ditto marks under the victory medal for the british medal................

it also gives his date of discharge as 27 mar 1919

does it show his unit number anywhere so that it will confirm hes 'my' man?

Tessa

ps, birth cert is a dodgy one!! he was a gypsy so as yet, no birth or marriage cert has been found, I do have his death cert but thats not really much help!!

Does it give a date of entry into the theatre of war, and if so, which theatre? If so you could hopefully check and see what battalion of the Buffs (assuming that was the regiment he originally shipped out with) landed nearest that time. Not 100% concrete but will give you a good idea.

Can you post a copy of it up, you will need to shrink it down to 100kb or less.

Cheers,

Barrie

Tess,

To my knowledge no battalions of the Buffs were attached to either 35th or 40th (Bantam) Divisions.

A possibility is he may have served in two different regiments, the Buffs and another bantam battalion. Or your family history has lost some of it's accuracy in the re-telling.

Roger.

Can't get the blooming thing to copy so I'll I'll have a go at transcribing it

Smith - Valentine Reginald E Kent R L cprl L8926

---"----- sgnt L8926

D.C.M

Medals Victory X E/2/102 B13 102 Discharge 392 XVI 27/3/19

British -----d--- ---d----

15 star E/2/2B5 413

*signature* 2069(0)/2

theatre of war (1) france

date of entry 17/1/15

so what does this tell me?? :unsure:

Well it tells you that he won the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) for a start :D

You may be able to find info on this on the London Gazette.

He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, BWM and Victory medal, the numbers after these entries are references to the Medal Rolls, which can be accessed at the NA (not online i'm afraid). I'm not sure if you get much extra info on the medal rolls.

It also tells you that he landed in France on 17th January 1915, this could help identify which battalion he was in. Hopefully a Buffs expert will be able to tell you this from what you have here.

He also reached the rank of Sergeant.

Barrie

Tess, I'll leave the MIC translation to others who are more qualified than I but DCM stands for Distinguished Conduct Medal.

The 2nd battalion East Kent Regiment arrived in France on the date shown.

Roger.

By the way, to copy from a pdf file you use the Camera function to select what you want to copy.

Click the small camera icon in the tool bar, then simply drag a box around the entry as usual. It should flash to indicate it has 'copied' it successfully, then you can paste it into paint as normal and save it as a .jpg.

Barrie

Wow!

I've been poking around abit, and I'm still very unsure whether or not this valentine is mine!! I've found a birth record for a Valentine R born in Maidstone in 1889, mine was born in 1884 to the best of my knowledge in Sidcup, I'm going to refuel the brain cells now and try attacking from another angle

thank you tons for all your help

Tess :D

Agreed Roger, well done :D

Assuming it is the right man ;)

Firstly, the Buffs had no Bantam Battalions.

The 1914/15 Star medal roll confirms what it says on the MIC; he went to France as a Lance Corporal on 17/1/1915. Smith was a pre war regular soldier. His Battalion had been brought back from India on the outbreak of war

The BWM/VM roll states that he only served with the 2nd Battalion.

He was awarded silver war badge number B321507 because he was discharged with sickness on 27/3/1919.

He had enlisted in the Buffs on 4/9/1908.

His DCM was gazetted as follows;

8926 Serjeant V.R. Smith, 2nd

Bn., E Kent R. (LG 30 June 1915).

For conspicuous gallantry displayed near Ypres on night of 15th-16th February, 1915, during the re-capture of a trench. Also on 13th April, 1915, for advancing single-handed along a sap, and bombing a German barricade.

Does this help?

Mick Mills

Michael,

Thanks for that, I'm even more inclined now to think that this isn't my man, I think I need to speak to the family a little more, but thery're very reluctant to talk about him for some reason.

It was his grandson who told me he was in the Bantams, as he was only 5 feet 2 inches tall.......... but he also says that he was in the East Kent Regiment, I think I'll try and track down his medals (they're in the family somewhere). Will there be an inscription on the back that might help me?

Tessa

If you can get his medals that will explain it all.

His name, rank, number and regiment should be on the back of the star and around the rim of the war and victory medals.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Barrie

I will do, thanks!

One question though......... which regiments did have bantams attatched to them?

I've just spoken to my Dad, who has suggested the WEst Kent Regiment, clutching at straws...............

waiting for a phone call from an older family member at the moment!!

Tess