Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help in identifying an Admiral please

tamos123

T,

I am afraid not. The following is a short extract:

Sir John Rushworth Jellicoe (1859-1935) was Britain's best-known Admiral at the start of the war.

Born on 5 December 1859 in Southampton, he joined the Royal Navy in 1872 and served in the Egyptian War of 1882.

In the years prior to the war Jellicoe served as Director of Naval Ordnance from 1905-7, and Controller of the Navy from 1908-10. Churchill, then First Lord of the Admiralty, appointed Jellicoe second-in-command of the Grand Fleet in November 1911.

Jellicoe was Admiral Fisher's long-standing choice to lead the grand fleet in wartime, a long-time assistant of Fisher's in the modernisation of the navy, and was accordingly appointed its commander on 4 August 1914, replacing Sir George Callaghan.

Peter <_<

Peter, I think T meant who is the admiral pictured rather than was Jellicoe French?

But I could be wrong. :unsure:

Rich.

Could you make the picture closer/larger?

Bryan

Wondering if that could be some sort of Jutland commemorative mug.

Probably not as the moustache looks too bushy for Scheer.

An enlargement would indeed be helpful T. What makes you think it may be a French admiral?

Rich.

The headgear looks earlier than WW1. If the reverse is definitely Jellicoe, then the gentleman we are seeing is probably a very senior commander who was senior enough to wear that kind of headgear well before WW1. Is there anything to make us think he was an Admiral or French?

Could be Kitchener or Roberts, or even (Sir John) French - on the basis that they all sported bushy 'taches.

Adrian

post-1388-1140252018.jpg

Hi Guys

My expertise in playing around with images some what limited.....happy to email directly for your expert analysis. The only reason I thought French was beacause he does not match any of the the German admirals and his medals do not look Germanic.

Also I don't recognise him as another British senior commander..... this is the rear image

regards

T

What a splendid mug you have there Tamos. What's it's history?

Yes, definately Jellicoe and the other side could almost be Jackie Fisher, except for the 'tache. Other than that I'm afraid I can't help much but I'm sure you'll get an answer off someone.

Best wishes

Rich.

I think the mug is one of a series depicting allied commanders. Supposing the series ran in alphabetical order. We might have Jellicoe and............ Joffre?

Tom

post-7-1140263613.jpg

Its definitely not Jackie Fisher & its not an RN Uniform he is wearing.

I'm witrh Tom tho, I think its Joffre,

Bryan