Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with service record please

familyfriend

Hi all,

Please can anyone help me with a Greatuncle's RN service record.

He joined in 1891 and was promoted to the officers section in Dec 1914.

It is his rating that I do not understand.

When he joined he was a 3rd Writer by 1896 he became a 2nd Writer and in 1900 he became a 1st Writer.

Finally in 1903 he is a Chief Writer.

Can anyone tell me what a Writer was / is.

Paul.

Thank-you John,

I thought it was going to be something like that. The word Writer made me think that he might have been recording the morse transmissions or other ship to ship communications and then the messages were passed on.

Still perhaps he made sure people got there wages, that keeps most people happy.

Paul.

If it is noted on his SR that his record is continued in the Officers Section Paul, that means he has been promoted to Warrant Writer

& his SR will be continued in the ADM 196 series.

A Writer had anything to do with Administrative work, letters, registers, forms, correspondence, service & pay records, gratuities, accounts, & secretarial work. A Chief Writer would have been running the Ships Office in ships & shore establishments.

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I can see now at the bottom of the SR, disappearing into the black photocopy image, the words 'promoted ??????? Warrant writer 29/12/14'.

He was stationed on the following ships / bases.

Wildfire, Pembroke, Landrail?, Caledonia, Wiye?, Thrush?, Widglon?, Lifoid?, London, Hida? and President.

The ones with question marks are my interpretation as they very difficult to read.

Finally in February 1914 he was allowed to re-engage for further period of service in RN.

I have some more questions if anyone can help please?

On the top of the SR is a number, in this case 161220. Is this Hartington's service number?

On the SR there is column named 'List and No.' for example Wildfire 14 7. What are these numbers?

All the best,

Paul.

161220 was his ON (Official number) all Naval ratings had an ON.

The best thing for you do do here Paul is post his SR. I can determine a lot more being able to view it & may be able to 'translate' some of the entries for you when viewing it,

or if you wish send it to me at: rncvr@sympatico.ca

but not too large a file pls.

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for your reply.

On the top of the SR is a number, in this case 161220. Is this Hartington's service number?

On the SR there is column named 'List and No.' for example Wildfire 14 7. What are these numbers?

All the best,

Paul.

Each rating's name & rate was kept in a List (book or leger actually) on each ship or base he was drafted to & assigned a number for pay & allowance purposes.

So as an example the List might be: 5/1, 5/I, or 15/2, 15/II, & a number following that would be his placement on that leger. The number will change from ship to ship but not necessarily the List number.

Bryan

Bryan,

This is Hartington Ratcliff's SR.

It is also the first time that I have tried photobucket to link to an attachment.

When I open up the link I cannot seem to magnify the image. If you have trouble let me know and I will send direct to you.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/fami...rvicerecord.jpg

Thanks,

Paul.

Paul

I can just make it out & will give it a go.

Bryan

Here is some info from Hartington/Hardington RATCLIFF's SR Paul.

He signed on fror Continuous Service on 17 Jun '91 as a 3rd class Writer (approx equivalent to an Able Seaman). As he was over 18 yrs of age when he signed on his adult service commenced immediately.

He was promoted to 2nd class Wrier on 15 Jun '96 (approx equiv to Leading Seaman int he Seaman branch)) & 1st class Writer on 1 Apl '00 - or at least that what I think the date was - that part is hard to make out (that would be equivalent to a Petty Officer). He then gets promoted to Chief Writer 15 Jun '03 (CPO in the Seaman branch).

I would say his promotion was quite rapid.

He was subsequently promoted to Acting Warrant Writer on 29 Dec '14. This entry is at the bottom of his SR & only the Acting & W & date is readable, but the rest is easy to figure out, & his service after that date should be continued in ADM 196 series.

At the top left corner of his SR is his CS engagement detail - as mentioned earlier, he signed on for CS on 17 Jun '91 for a period of 12 years. He re-engaged for a second term to complete time for pension (normally 10 years) on 17 Jun '03 & was permitted to sign on again for a third term on 9 Feb '14 for a period of 5 years. & there is a note to this effect in the Remarks column at the bottom of his SR.

I'll get to his ships detail next,

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for all the info you have gleaned from Hartington's SR.

Sorry for delay in replying but am just getting over a bout of flu not the bird kind I hasten to add.

Hartington was one of three brothers who all joined the Royal Navy in the 1890's.

The other two were Herbert and Sidney.

Sidney was the subject of my post regarding HMS Ganges.

I have yet to receive Herbert's Service Record.

All the best for now and many thanks,

Paul.

Here is Hartington Ratcliffe's ships Paul,

Wildfire -- Base at Sheerness/Brightlingsea

Pembroke -- Base/Barracks at Chatham

Landrail -- Torpedo Gunvessel of Jan '86

Caledonia -- Boys Training ship at Queensferry

Wye -- Iron Screw Storeship of Dec '73

Thrush -- now I think this entry is Thrush - its somewhat hard to read - but if it is Thrush she was a 1st class Gunboat of Jun '89.

Widgeon - Composite Screw Gunboat of Aug '89.

Whilst on Widgeon he qualified for the Queen South Africa medal - her qualification dates were 11 Oct '99 to 8 Mar '01.

Vivid -- Base/Barracks Devonport

London -- London class Battleship of Sep '99

Hecla -- Torpedo Depot ship of Mar '78

President -- Headquarters & Drillship RNVR London. President had many functions during the course of WWI.

You would have to find his Warrant Officers SR Paul to see if he remained there for the duration of the war.

If he did he likely would have qualified for the BWM as well.

He also has a Naval LS medal (Edward VII) awarded 11 July '06 whilst serving on HMS Wildfire.

Bryan

Bryan,

Thank-you for all the info given in the last posting.

I am searching the web now looking for pictures of all the ships mentioned and any other info about them.

At the moment I am waiting for Sidney Ratcliff's officers records to arrive. I have used a researcher to find them for me so I hope it is successful as I will use him for Hartingtton's records as well.

Many thanks,

Paul.