Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does K.O.Y.L.I mean?

zotiades

Hi - reference is made a few times to "the K.O.Y.L.I" in the East Surreys War Diary 1914 and I just wondered what it meant...any ideas?

Here's an excerpt:

"A heavy shrapnell fire was then opened on us and the K.O.Y.L.I, but in spite of our slender entrenchments, our losses were but small."

(Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place but I'm new and wasn't too sure where to put this)

Thanks

Well beaten or what, yup its Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry well done Roger you were quick!

Rob

Rob, got to admit while I was typing it I was thinking I bet someone else is doing this right now :D

Roger.

Ah, thanks guys - that clears that little mystery up!

Cheers - Athenalaz

Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Roger.

..Known to the rest of the Army as (I spell, phonetic..) the 'Coilies' - but as my father warned, never call one of them that to his face. Similarly the KOSB (King's Own Scottish Borderers) should never be (and still really, really shouldn't be) called 'Cosbees' to their face. Unless you really want unpleasantness to ensue.

And never offer a Black Watch soldier some bird food for the budgie on his head!

I've been led to believe that 'broken square' is a reference to the Black Watch. It is apparently an untrue, according (I think) to Richard Holmes, reference to an infantry square being broken by French cavalry during the Peninsula War.

Roxy

PS My grandad (an ex-Cameron Highlander) used to deliberately refer to the KOSB as Kosbees if front of my grampa (you guessed it - an ex- KOSB). Oh what fun they had. :ph34r:

Roxy

Hello, There are several impolite versions as well. In part:

KO You'll like it, and

Keep out of YL insides

I heard these from a Guards RSM in 1952

Old Tom

Which is the Highland Regiment that they taunted with "Cheese" and the reply was "Broken Square" and a free for all ensued. :angry:

Dunno about the cheese. Broken Square is The Black Watch. It doesn't have to be true, it has the desired effect. There is a traditional exchange, which takes place between The Black Watch and the Gordon Highlanders. It refers to misuse of grazing animals. It can usually guarantee spirited action and reaction.

Dunno about the cheese. Broken Square is The Black Watch. It doesn't have to be true, it has the desired effect. There is a traditional exchange, which takes place between The Black Watch and the Gordon Highlanders. It refers to misuse of grazing animals. It can usually guarantee spirited action and reaction.

'Tis the Gordon Highlanders (who are supposed to have riddled a wheel of cheese with bullets). I don't know where or when or why.

It's just an excuse for a fight!!!

The Black Watch "Broken square" occurred during the unpleasantness in Egypt/Sudan region at the Battle of Tamai, 13 March, 1884, according to Barthrop in "War on the Nile."

DrB

:)