Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Patch

Clive Harris

Harry, via his good frend & staff at Fletcher House have today expressed the wish for him to step back from public life and slow down a little on the advice of his doctor. Interest in the Great War has, as we all realise, grown massively in recent years and as such so have the demands on him for interviews, letters and appearances.

Recently, he has been simply overwhelmed by requests with people even walking in off the street to meet him, it is now starting to take a significant toll on his time & energy. He has stated through his secretary and the staff at the residential care home that he doesn't wish to talk about the war anymore.

I am sure that all people reading this will understand and respect his wishes whilst at the same time hoping he continues to lead his long and happy life for many years to come. Nick his carer and staff at the care home will continue to assist Harry with his post as it arrives and he remains an active member of the Western Front Association.

This message is in no way aimed at anyone in particular or as a result of previous threads on the forum and I hope it has not caused any offence.

Who can deny him a request like this ?

Harry, we owe a great deal to all that you have done to help bring alive that troubled period of this ations past.

Your views and experiences are well documented and I doubt there is anything new to add to them.

I thank you for all that you have given so selflessly. I for one respect your wishes and I am sure the others here will have no hesitation in echoing that sentiment.

You deserve your rest "old boy".

God bless

James

Enjoy your rest Harry.

You have kindled an interest for the war in my wife, a lady from Latin America, with no personal conection to Europe at it's wars. We have visited the Salient and followed in your footsteps, in awe.

God bless you.

Thanks for the info Clive! I visit him regulary and have permission to see him next week! I will respect his wishes and will contact Fletcher House and cancel my visit. Where did you see this info Clive? My last visit saw Harry full of beans, perhaps this is a very recent medical thing! I'm sure us forum members will respect his wishes, but without doubt, we are very much in the minority! In the past, I have been visiting and whils't there, (Clive is quite right), many members of the public are interested and wish to visit Harry and they just turn up. Maybe Fletcher house will issue a press release on Harry's request! We can only hope!

The info came from his close friend after consultation with his GP & carers via the WFA and was a general request for a slow down, in he case of Chris who has already planned a visit I am sure there is no problem, I know the pair of them share memories of their Fire Service, another major part of Harry's life. Chris I believe you have got it spot on to contact the home prior to your visit, I hope your chin wag goes ahead as planned.

Thank you for the advice Clive! I will contact Nick/sister and re-arange around Harry's wishes! Thank you for letting me know. Regards, Chris.