Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

prisoners of war

bernardmcilwaine

BOSS,are you collecting names of men who were POWs to add to the BEHIND THE WIRE site,theres quite a lot turning up in my research,it gives name,rank,number,regt,address,and sometimes added info,age etc,some have the camps name,also i have three group pictures,theres a soldier mentioned by name in each,bernard

Bernard, my grandfather was also mgc and captured in march 1918 so i'd be interested in any names ! Julian

what was his name julian,mine are from the manchester papers,bernard

BOSS,are you collecting names of men who were POWs to add to the BEHIND THE WIRE site,theres quite a lot turning up in my research,it gives name,rank,number,regt,address,and sometimes added info,age etc,some have the camps name,also i have three group pictures,theres a soldier mentioned by name in each,bernard

Good shout Bernard, I have come across quite a few aswell, and they are not on the Behind the Wire database - I know Behind the Wire is by no means a definitive list.

Would be interesting to get Chris's opinion on adding data to it.

Glyn

Pals

I'm obviously not in a position to comment on how Chris may or may not want to develop "Behind the Wire".

However, as one of the group who did the original work, may I just comment that it was done for a specific purpose - as an searchable index to National Archive records, reference WO161. It is the only index (and is credited by the NA as such). It's point was to enable researchers to see if there was "more to find out" about someone who was a POW, without making a potentially fruitless trip to Kew.

John

Bernard,

the 3 named men captured from 123 Coy MGC were

Capt Reid

Lt Guyatt

Sjt Moore 42808

but the records state that there were "about 14" other ranks too

I have the names of a potential 130 odd men from this Coy but have not started wading through WO 363 / 4 to see if their records survive yet.

Otherwise I'm not sure how one would find out !

Julian

mine have name,rank,number,regt,address,camp,age,place of work and somtimes other ref stuff like parents or wives,what else would they want,glyns are probably the same,AND i can even tell you what is in their red cross parcels[no kiddin]bernard