Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Stock

Guest Sarah Newman

Guest Sarah Newman

I have just found out that my Great Grandfather, George Stock, was a Private in 3/4 The Buffs (Engine Driver H.M.D) in 1917.

Would anyone be able to tell me what this means? I am an extreme novice when it comes to all things to do with the army, so please accept my apologies in advance for any mistakes.

With grateful thanks

Sarah Newman

Welcome Sarah - don't worry we were all novices at some stage.

The 4th Battalion of the Buffs were a territorial outfit (info by more qualified experts on territorials elsewhere on the site). On the outbreak of war they became the 1/4th Buffs and 2 more Battalions were raised; the 2/4th and 3/4th.

The 3/4th Battalion was raised by Major Messel in Canterbury in July 1915. It only composed 2 companies (as opposed to the usual 4) and they moved to Cambridge in Dec 1915 and then to Crowborough. It never went overseas as a unit. They were probably men outside the conscription agegroup or those that had been medically downgraded.

I believe that men of the 2/4th and 3/4th were employed in important work in the UK because 5 of them were killed in the explosion at Faversham Gunpowder Mills in April 1916.

I would say that George was an engine driver in one of His Majesty's Dockyards.

I hope this helps. If you have any more info let us know. Even the smallest clue might lead on to further avenues of research.

Mick Mills

We tend to think of 'engine driver' as being the driver for a train. I'm guessing but presumably it refers to stationary engines (eg for cranes in a dockyard) or possibly steam traction engines?

Robert