Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry

Guest ptinley

I'm new to this site so please forgive any naivette.

:)

My grandfather Charles Tinley served with the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, during the 1st World War (number 18161) and was apparently shot in both legs. Apparently he was three days on the battlefield before the stretcher bearers found him, at one time pretending to be dead when a German patrol passed by'. The Question is fact or heresay?

Charles served at the rank of private and first entered the theatre of war in France on 30th September 1915. There is no mention of injury on the Medal Rolls, he is was entitled to 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. Would any members know how best to research Grandad Tinley.

I would be most interested in any information relating to his regiment at this time.

Welcome aboard. If you've not already checked the research tips on the mother site, that should be your first port of call: HERE

Paul

Hi there

Try the RGJ Museum as they hold all the Ox & Bucks LI archives at

The Royal Green Jackets Museum

Peninsula Barracks

Romsey Road

Winchester

SO23 8TS

Telephone Enquiries: 01962-828549

E-mail: museum@royalgreenjackets.co.uk

Yours aye

Oxford Yeoman

Hi there

Peninsula Barracks

Romsey Road

Winchester

SO23 8TS

Yours aye

Oxford Yeoman

Thanks for that, based in Jersey makes research a little difficult, will collect all ideas for my next trip to Uk

Guest rachel8864
Hi there

Peninsula Barracks

Romsey Road

Winchester

SO23 8TS

Yours aye

Oxford Yeoman

Hi There

I have just phoned the number provided because I also have an interest in The Oxford and Bucks Light Invantry and was told that Winchester do not hold any of the records for that regiment they are still kept at Oxford. The gave me a phone number to ring 01865 780128 and to ask for Mr Marr I rang the number and it was an answer machine.

A very helpful chap at Winchester told me that the War Diaries will be sent over to Winchester in the future but when is anybodies guess, and that they do not hold any individual records as these are kept at the National Archives.

Hope this is off help

Cheers Rachel

Mr Marr & his fellow volunteer curators work in Oxford every Thursday so I'm surprised your message wasnt picked up today.

Currently the Oxford Museum is in the process of electronically cataloguing its archive with them moving to Winchester in the near future

Yours aye

OxfordYeoman

Guest rachel8864
Mr Marr & his fellow volunteer curators work in Oxford every Thursday so I'm surprised your message wasnt picked up today.

Currently the Oxford Museum is in the process of electronically cataloguing its archive with them moving to Winchester in the near future

Yours aye

OxfordYeoman

Hi,

Mr Marr phoned me back within half an hour of me leaving him a message. He was VERY VERY helpful.

He told me that my ancestor Corporal Horace Edward Hawkett service number 9159 of the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry who died 20.12.1915 was in the War in Iraq and that he died just before they surrendered, and that most of the regiment died on the long walk to the prisoner of war camp or died as a prisoner of war because of the horendous conditions they was expected to live in.

He said that if I put something in writing to him that he would look in the archives they hold for any information on him or his regiment.

He also said that they have a museum dedicated to the Oxford Bucks Light Infantry which is open to the public on as long as the visit is arranged before you go. I will defieantly be going and have arranged to go week commencing the 15th May.

I wouldn't have known about this museum if you hadn't had posted your thread. So many thanks for the information.

Cheers

Rachel.

Hi Rachel

Glad to have been of assistance. Please let us know if anything else interesting surfaces during your research.

Yours

OxfordYeoman

If possible check the local newspapers for notice of his wounds, chances are if he was shot in both legs they will make some mention of it. I take there is not mention of an SWB being awarded on his MIC?