Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which company from regiment number?

nicknobbyclark

I've been able to get hold of my Grandfather's regiment number whilst searching for his medal record online at the NA'

My question is will I be able to find out which company he served in while with the Battalion?

Frederick Hide

Sergeant 2/6 Battalion of the RWR reg number 241756

SWB List L/A/904

Thanks to anyone who can help

Nick Clark

Which regiment is RWR please?

Did he survive? If so, very difficult to trace.

Was he listed as missing in 1917?

these are potential ways forward, together with the War Diary of the unit held at Kew.

If RWR is Royal Warwickshire Regiment you'd need to check the war diaries of its 6th Bn for 1917 onwards to see if your grandfather gets a mention. (His army number indicates he was a territorial with the 6th Bn, if indeed RWR is Royal Warwicks)

John, Langley and Paul - thanks for you help.

RWR does indeed stand for the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. My grandfather survived the war and I think the story went, that when he received his wound, he was immediately carried back to the safety of the trench by a friend of his. Therefore, I doubt if he was classed as missing but I will try the 1917 list just in case.

I did hope that the fact he was a Sergeant in the 2/6th Battalion might help a little with finding his Company but it seems it's going to be hard work after all! If I can get to Kew then I'll look at his SWB ref. to see if I can find a date when wounded etc? After that I guess it's a case of looking through the 2/6th battalion diaries to see if he is actually mentioned? I understand N.C.Os were not that often mentioned in these regimental diaries unless they were involved in something important or noteworthy!

Thanks again

Nick Clark

If I can get to Kew then I'll look at his SWB ref. to see if I can find a date when wounded etc? After that I guess it's a case of looking through the 2/6th battalion diaries to see if he is actually mentioned? I understand N.C.Os were not that often mentioned in these regimental diaries unless they were involved in something important or noteworthy!

The SWB Roll won't tell you when he was wounded but you might get his age and date of enlistment details. You'd need to check the war diary for details about when he was wounded but as you rightly say, as an Other Rank, the chances are he won't be mentioned by name. A better bet might be to try the local newspapers of the time which might mention the fact that he had been wounded in action.

Don't give up in the diaries though, you never know your luck and they are fascinating reads in their own right.

Thanks Paul

I wont give up on the diaries and I hope I get a chance to get to the NA soon and check them out.

I think The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum at Warwick have copies of Birmingham newspapers so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can help,

It's a pity it's so hard to locate an ordinary soldier's Company. It seems a stroke of luck is needed!

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Paul

I wont give up on the diaries and I hope I get a chance to get to the NA soon and check them out.

I think The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum at Warwick have copies of Birmingham newspapers so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can help,

It's a pity it's so hard to locate an ordinary soldier's Company. It seems a stroke of luck is needed!

Cheers

Nick

If he was wounded, and you know what hospital or CCS he went through, there is a small chance you will be able to locate company information - a small selection of Admission and Discharge books are kept by the NA, and they do indicate a company for each soldier. However, I would stress, it is a small selection.

regards

doogal

Nick

Another very longshot that may just turn up the information required. If you can pinpoint the action your grandfather was wounded in, look and see if any officers are listed as missing / killed on the same date. Then look in the relevant officers files at the National archives, and sometimes you find statements from soldiers stating when they last saw the officer, how he was killed etc. Often they sign this statement off giving Company and even Platoon detail. A very longshot i know but....

Chris

Doogal

Thanks I will do as you suggest when I get a chance to go to the NA. I still need to locate his service record. Do you know if a soldier’s Company is sometimes mentioned here? Can you tell me what CCS stands for?

Chris

It's a long shot but thanks for your suggestion. Sometimes research has to be a little bit of detective work. I've had similar experiences looking into my father's RN service during WW2. Your idea sounds very logical considering that NCOs and other ranks only seem to get mentioned through the records of Officers. A good idea I thought!

Cheers

Nick