Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

Jerrymurland

I am trying to avoid another trip to Kew! I recently visited the West Sessex Records Office to see their collection of RSR material. They have a typescript of the 13th Battalion War diary but I was horrified to find out that it could only be copied at 50p per sheet. Asking if I could take digital images I was informed that it would cost £10 to use the camera - mine not theirs! - and 50p per exposure!! This was a ridiculous amount to pay and as I wanted a copy of the diary up until 12.9.1916, including the battalion orders for the Boar's Head action, I would have needed to take out a morgage.

I am hoping someone might have a copy of the War diary ffom embarkation until the end of September 1916, I would be eternally grateful if they would let me have a copy, failing that its back to Kew where at least you can fire away with your camera for free!

Jerry Murland

I emailed the West Sussex Records Office and complained about the charges for digital photography, they replied saying they had revised their policy and would now only charge £10 for registering the camera and waive the 50p per exposure fee! I suppose that is something!

Jerry

Seems strange they should charge you to use your own camera!? Have you tried contacting the author of the article I posted? He might have what you want?