Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Henry ROBERTS

Guest kgr@starwon.com.au

Guest kgr@starwon.com.au

James Henry ROBERTS was born 7th December 1880.Place of birth was Perth,Western Australia.

Have photograph of him in what appears to be British army uniform (seated) but have no information of which regiment he joined.The photo postcard in typical pose says "Somewhere in France" 16th July 1916"It was sent to his brother Fred.James Henry ROBERTS is pictured with an Australian (Standing).

He had married in New South Wales in 1906 to Rebecca and fathered a son in Western Australia in 1908.

He stated his occupation as an Electrical Enginneer on his marriage certificate..this may have been his occupation.

I know it's very common name and it's possible he didn't state his age truthfully or even his name.

Any help appreciated.

It will help if you post the photo.

If he is in the Australian army, but just looks as if he is in the British army, you can access information about him online.

Did you try looking for him when you looked for his brother?

I checked the AWM and NA records. There were two identifiable James Henry Roberts in the AIF but neither was born in WA. There was also a couple of Henry James Roberts but again, none from WA.

Then there are those simply listed as James Roberts. After a quick glance I could identify only one who enlisted in Perth but he was born in Norfolk, England.

Perhaps if you post the photo we'll be able to get a better idea of what we're talking about.

Tim L.

Guest kgr@starwon.com.au

Not recorded in Australian Army records...he was in British force.Please advise where I may be able to access information about him online.Bearing in mind the name is quite common and I only have date and place of birth.

Guest kgr@starwon.com.au

Thank you Tim.I have checked Australian records and he is not recorded because he served with British Army force.

If I knew how to post photo I would !! It tells me attachment file is blocked and the file is 159kb which is too large !!

Not sure how to reduce.I guess I could send to an email address and somehow have it placed in thread !!

Just new to this caper !

The photo's too large because the forum has a limit due to bandwidth restrictions. If you have a photo editing programme (even 'Paint' will do it) just reduce the photo in size and it will reduce the file size. Then you'll be able to post it.

Tim L.

Ok, I checked the Medal Index Roll and found two James Henry Roberts, one with the Royal Field Artillery and the other with the Kings Liverpool Regiment.

I didn't try just the 'James' Roberts as it was a scary thought at how many there might be!!

Anyone put a name to the cap badge.

kgr....

Great effort for what's obviously your first try. If you would like, email the whole photo to me in it's original form and I'll play with it. I've got some reasonable photo editing software.

Tim L.

Ok,

Here's the photo that kgr sent me. I've reduced it and tried to enhance it a little. There's also a close-up of the badge but without the original photo it's difficult to get a clear image.

If kgr knows how, perhaps if just the small area of the badge is scanned at a really high resolution we might get a clearer image.

For what it's worth, Artillery seems to jump into my head.

Tim L.

post-2918-1140158718.jpg

post-2918-1140158735.jpg

Guest kgr@starwon.com.au
Ok, I checked the Medal Index Roll and found two James Henry Roberts, one with the Royal Field Artillery and the other with the Kings Liverpool Regiment.

I didn't try just the 'James' Roberts as it was a scary thought at how many there might be!!

Anyone put a name to the cap badge.

kgr....

Great effort for what's obviously your first try. If you would like, email the whole photo to me in it's original form and I'll play with it. I've got some reasonable photo editing software.

Tim L.

Where to from here Tim ?

Medal Index Roll shows James Henry ROBERTS,Driver # 87885 RFA enlisted on 14 July 1915 and was discharged sick 24 November 1917.

The King's Liverpool entry for James Henry ROBERTS (Private #204639) is actually for a Joseph Henry ROBERTS.Abbreviation is Jos.not Jas !!!

Royal Field Artillery ????

He initially struck me as a driver, so my first opinion would be Artillery and therefore RFA would seem to be the best bet.

The only problem is that the badge doesn't seem to fit the RFA.

Tim L.