Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex Regiment

royg

I have posted this question previously without much response so I thought I,d have another try.

My man served with the 1st.Battalion Middlesex Regt.and I have assumed that he did not serve intil he was conscripted, as he did not receive the 14-15 Star.

His name was C F Gibson and his number was G/34869 and I am trying to find out roughly when he joined

up. Can you tell from his number?

Kind regards

Roy

Several soldiers with a 43-44000 service number were posted to the 17 th Middlesex during August 1916. If I were guessing, I would say that your man enlisted during the winter of 1915/16.

Not sure that this helps!

Regards,

AGWR

Roy,

By rearranging my Soldiers Died in the Great War CD-ROM, I found numerically the following Middlesex casualties;-

2nd Bn - G/34804 = 1/8/1917.

13th Bn - G/34866 = 22/6/1917.

1st Bn - G/34869 = C.F. Gibson

1st Bn - G/34883 = 23/4/1917.

1st Bn - G/34886 = 23/4/1917.

1st Bn - G/34887 = 23/4/1917.

1st Bn - G/34889 = 18/4/1917.

Looking at this small list I would agree that they had been conscripted towards the very back end of 1916, possibly November, but I could be wrong, as it's only a theory based on this list. The odd thing the list is so small one wonders what happend to all of the other G/348** men??

Graham.

Graham,

I have got about 110 men with a 34*** service number on my database, and only five men with a 348** service number. All the 34*** deaths occurred from 1917 onwards (the earliest being on the 21st Feb). Surely however these men must have enlisted (as opposed to being sent overseas) before the soldiers with 43*** service numbers?

Regards,

AGWR

AGWR,

Have to say that I'm not a Middlesex researcher and as I said it is a theory only based on the numbers 348** and not 34*** in general. The earliest casualty in the 348** series is April 1917 and so if you reckon they had been in the Army some six months then October/November could be a possiblity. Again I have to say it's theory only and if you have a database with Middlesex enlistment dates taken from the Silver War Badge lists it would give you a more accurate picture. What does come to light is there are so few in the 348** series listed in SDGW, so what happend to the remainder??

Roy,

The dates are casualty dates as you mention.

Graham.

Graham,

I am not sure of the answer either. It does seem very strange that men with a significantly lower service number were being killed and wounded several months earlier than those with a higher service number. I will have another look when next down the NA.

I don't know why there appear to be so few casualties among the 348** service numbers. A look at the relevant medal roll would provide some clues.

Regards,

AGWR

Thanks Graham and AGWR. Is it safe for me to assume that my man was fighting on the Western Front in April 1917?

He became a casualty in 1918 when he was wounded and fortunately survived.

It seems a mystery about the low numbers that you have referred to.

If I knew how to consult the relevant documents at TNA then I would do so .

Roy