Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22 London Regiment

wendus

Having just found my Grandad's medal card on the National Archive website, it seems he was awarded just the Victory Medal and the War Medal ... no mention of him having received the 'Star'.

Alfred J Walker is listed as having been a Private in the 22 London Regiment, and has two regimental numbers: 5930 and 682960. I know he was wounded at some point, as he always told us he'd been shot in the knee, but apart from that I know absolutely nothing about his military career.

I'd therefore be grateful if someone could tell me something about the 22 London Regiment. I've found references to things like 2/22, etc., but I'm really totally confused, and not at all sure what I should be looking for.

Grandad was born in SE London, and I believe the 22 London Regiment originated in or around Bermondsey, which would seem right. However, any information at all about this Regiment would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Wendy

Wendy

The 22nd Londons were a territorial regiment (part timers) and this particular battalion was known as the "Queens" as they had links to the Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

This particular battalion were headquartered at 2 Jamaica Road Bermondsey.

There were three battalions of the 22nd which were denoted as 1/22nd 2/22nd 3/22nd being first second and third line battalions.

1/22nd served in France from 16.3.15 to the end of the war 2/22nd Served in France, Salonika then to Egypt and finally Palestine. The 3/22nd remained in the Uk and were a reserve battalion for the other two

I'm not sure if there was ever a history of the unit but others may know better than I

Hope this helps Hambo

Hambo, you're a treasure!

Thank you so much for that information ... which has really narrowed things down for me, because I know Grandad was in the desert at some point, and I remember him saying that he had seen/met Lawrence of Arabia, so it looks as if he was in 2/22 doesn't it.

Thank you again, you've made a confused female very very happy!

Wendy

Hambo, you're a treasure!

Thank you so much for that information ... which has really narrowed things down for me, because I know Grandad was in the desert at some point, and I remember him saying that he had seen/met Lawrence of Arabia, so it looks as if he was in 2/22 doesn't it.

Thank you again, you've made a confused female very very happy!

Wendy

Hello

The 2/22nd Battalion the London Regiment did not publish an official battalion war history, however it was recorded that the battalion was an aggressive fighting battalion serving with distinction with the 181 brigade the 60th London Division. When the battalion's Colonel was given command of the battalion in Egypt he recorded the day as the proudest of his life. He went on to win the Victoria Cross leading the 2/22nd battalion in the battle at Shiera this being the later stages of the capture of Beersheba/Gaza in Nov 1917. The 60th Div fought inland with Arab irregulars everywhere, so there may be more than a little truth with regards Lawrence Arabia ect, ect. It is possible your Grandfather served in Egypt/Palestine at this time.

At the battle of Tel el Shiera (N.W of Beersheba) on the 7th Nov 1917, the battalion attacked the Turkish front line capturing a battery of enemy field guns. The battalion had been in action and on the march for ten days prior to the attack the men charged the Turkish front line just before dawn after a difficult night march, coming under heavy enemy fire. The C.O of the battalion won his V.C here, leaving an account of the action on the 7th Nov in a letter to his farther.

"One of the men had a football, how it came their god only Knows, we kicked off and rushed the first guns, dribbling the ball with us. I take it the Turks thought we were dangerous lunatics, but we stopped for nothing, not even to shoot, the bayonet had its day. We swept everything before us for 3000 yards finally capturing a battery of field guns and their entire crews. The Turk battery fired its last round at 25 yards."

Lt-Col Borton. 2/22nd London Regiment (The Queens)

Typically under-stated, The C.O was actually amongst the enemy guns while they were still shooting, the battalion ultimately advanced in the face of stiff enemy fire and captured its main objective, the wells at Shiera, the 2/22nd battalion had attacked alone being in the vanguard of the brigade advance,doing the work of two brigades....

Tom