Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regiment

homeguard

Hello, If I`m wasting your good time sorry inadvance, but I`m new to this and still in the dark somewhat, I saw on a posting asking about the Manchester Regiment and it appeared that it might be possile to find a battalion from the service numbers and medal role page numbers, is this correct ?? If so I`m posting them just in case, William Ernest Hanson Manchester Regiment, private 63718, Victory and British medals, page 5274. I hope this makes sense to someone ! many thanks.

hiya homeguard,we have been searching for something positive for you and harribob has found him in the manchester regts medal rolls,his war and victory medals are named to the manchesters,bernard[alias mack] ;)

It is not so easy to locate a specific battalion from a 4 digit number as these could relate to any regular battalion or any pre early 1917 territorial battalion prior to 6 digit re-numbering. Other numbers 5 digit runs are easier to follow for Kitchener battalions.

Good luck, Rodge

It is not so easy to locate a specific battalion from a 4 digit number as these could relate to any regular battalion or any pre early 1917 territorial battalion prior to 6 digit re-numbering. Other numbers 5 digit runs are easier to follow for Kitchener battalions.

Good luck, Rodge

Thanks for your input folks, could you say when 6 digit renumbering came in to use, and from that can I then assume that he must have joined up prior to that date ? many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Early 1917 (January I think) the re-numbering took place

can I assume from that he joined prior to JAN. 1917 ??

No, you can't make that assumption.

It's only relevent for soldiers who were in a Territorial Battalion and had a four digit number prior to 1917 and a six digit one afterwards.

The five digit numbers apply to recruits to the Service Battalions (formed only for the war's duration). Unless anyone has more specific information about the manchester regiment, then all that could be said is that it's later rather than earlier in the war.