Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A photo of a soldier

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi All,

Whilst i was doing my research on my war memorial in the local Library a chap asked me if i could help him with his Grandfather. I said i would try, but this is proving a little more difficult than i thought!!

the soldiers details are:

307625 L/Cpl William Hayes.

Nice and easy i thought especially as there is a service number. How wrong could i be? I cannot find the onlie MIC for this chap anywhere.

I have received a photo, which shows he has a RE capbadge.

Can anyone help me try and solve this?

Anthony,

What source did the number come from? (medal/papers)

I guess he could have been in another regiment when he earned his medal, and thus does not show under RE or that number in the MICs.

Ian

Anthony

It might be that the photo you received is not the same man. Sometime ago I did some research for somebody under similar circumstances only to find out that it was a different person. It might be worth questioning your contact again to see if there is any information that he has forgotten to give you. People who are new to the subject often don't recognise the significance of what they have.

Terry Reeves

Steve, Ian, Terry,

Thank you all for your replies.

Steve,

Come to think about it, he did say that at the end of his service number are the letters TC.

Terry,

I will send him an email to let me have all the info that he has, as you say, the smallest piece of info could be the deciding factor.

Thanks Guys

I have recieved an email back from the chap whose grandfather this is.

He has no more info than what he gave me except that the army number cam off of his fathers birth certificate. The father's column states Ex 307625 L/Cpl TC.

My contact says that he can remember his grandfather having medals from the First World War but does not know where they went.

We all know that many mistakes occured with numbers etc especially at that time.

Think that Steve may have found our man.

The MIC Index has a 307625 in the Tank Corps which is not our man. Registrar error. That's never happened before!

Medal card of Roxburgh, George K

Corps Regiment No Rank

Tank Corps 307625 Private

Steve.

The MIC Index has a 307625 in the Tank Corps which is not our man. Registrar error. That's never happened before!

:lol: No it hasn't, first time i have come across it. Anyone else? :ph34r:

Thanks Steve