Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Jacka VC

Soren

Hi Pals,

I would appreciate some help, I'm composing a drawing of Albert Jacka VC in action, I need to know:

1) what headgear, pith-slouch hat-or peaked cap

also

2) shorts or trousers??

3) If shorts, puttees or socks??

Many thanks in advance

Soren

Hello Malcolm,

The VC was won at Gallipoli, I'm depictingthe moment as Lt Crabbe had 'Found Jacka caked in dust and sweat-surrounded by Turkish dead. Flushed from the exertions of an hour's fierce fighting, he had an unlit cigarette in the corner of his mouth. Grinning , he welcomed Crabbe, "I managed to get the beggars Sir!".

This is a rough thumbnail sketch, I opted for slouch hat, and trousers......

post-4474-1140025010.jpg

Don't know Soren. It is pretty hot there in May. Perhaps in uniform but in shirtsleeves? Maybe the famous poster lends a clue?

Rgds

Tim

post-1563-1140071107.jpg

Here's a photo of Jacka taken on Lemnos but I'm not sure exactly which month but I would say it was later in the campaign. Having checked the AWM photos it would appear that in May, most of the soldiers were still wearing the peaked cap (some a little more floppy than usual), long pants, tunics and puttees although I would think several had shorts by then as well.

My best suggestion would be peaked cap, tunic, shorts and puttees but in a casual way i.e. floppy cap, tunic unbuttoned at top etc etc.

post-2918-1140091541.jpg