Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Going to France

doogal

With an eagerness probably lacking in the last member of our family to go to Arras, I got through the booking confirmation for return tickets to France.

I'll be going at the end of March, and will post an offer for photos a bit closer to the time.

In the meantime, a frenzy of planning and research has now begun, and I wanted to see if any of the pals could help with some requests:

I want to get hold of a copy of some trench maps so I can print them out on to A4 paper and also overlay them on to an IGN map

The ones I want to track down are of Arras-Fampoux-Chemical Works for 9-th 14th April 1917 - for interest in the assault by the 4th Division/2nd West Riding Regiment, and also for the Area of Bucquoy to Rossignol Wood as it was in late March 1918 for the 62nd Division/2/5th West Riding Regiment.

If anyone has any scans of these maps, I would be very grateful - I think the Arras one is 51b and the Bucquoy one should be 57d.

many thanks

doogal

Doogal I wish you a pleasant and successful field trip. Please take as much pics from/around Waeldchen 125 as possible and post them later here.

Hi Egbert,

- the pics and maps you have posted on this area in the past set me thinking that this trip would be a good idea - so thanks for all the posts - I hope to add to them on my return.

I have a couple of practical questions:

At this time of year (up tp April), how accessible is 125, and also the spots in the field where you took that fantastic panoramic collage?

As they are clearly farmer's land, I don't really want to get me or my father into any trouble - (you understand that as one member of the family still resides in this field, I want to be extra careful this time round!)

Are there any good local estaminets in Bucquoy that you know of?

Many thanks

doogal

Doogal,

Have a look at this site for maps. They are very good quality and scaled down slightly which makes them managable in a slight breeze.

http://www.ghsmith.com/worldwar1/trenchmaps.html

Hi Ken,

thanks - these are indeed very good maps - unfortunately for me, they haven't got ones for the date ranges I wish to use - though I have one of Rossignol/Bucquoy for later that year which has proved exceedingly useful.

doogal

Doogal, all of my pics/panorama pics were taken from farm tracks easily accessable and legal to use. If you try to avoid trouble -avoid entering Wäldchen 125=private property. I use to stay in nearby Mailly , in the B&B of Mme Pecourt (Les Bieffes). If you want more information on Les Bieffes drop me a PM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Doogal,

Many appologies for this early photo request, but I'll be away from computer access as of next week for the rest of the month. If you happen to be in the area and have time to do so, I wonder if you could possibly take a photograph of a relative's grave for me?

Here are the details:

Queen's Cemetery, Bucquoy

Douglas Arthur Albert Phillips (RMLI)

Grave: I.G.12

If this is possible I would greatly appreciate it - but if not don't worry!

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Many thanks and best regards

Steve

Doogal - I would highly recommend reading Copse 125, as egbert mentions it is one of Junger's best books. I found it quite readable, and since you will be in the area help give an image of life on the other side of the wire from your grandfather. I know you'l not be able to put it down. ;)

Andy

Doogal - I would highly recommend reading Copse 125, as egbert mentions it is one of Junger's best books. I found it quite readable, and since you will be in the area help give an image of life on the other side of the wire from your grandfather. I know you'l not be able to put it down. ;)

Andy

I second that; and maybe you'll find the 5-way-corner....

I want to get hold of a copy of some trench maps so I can print them out on to A4 paper and also overlay them on to an IGN map

doogal,

I have done almost exactly this for the Arras Triangle, i.e. east of Arras between the railway line and the Cambrai Road and another west of Monchy. If these are of any use, PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send then to you.

Roy

I would highly recommend reading Copse 125

I have indeed read this book - although some of it was rambling and politically obscure at points, the passages of observational prose were in incredible detail, and when they arose, were very readable.

Although written/observed two months after my gt grandfather was KIA, it nevertheless was very strange to have such first hand detail about these very trenches, at a place where the March 1918 offensive had finally ground to a halt.

regards

doogal