Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BRISTOL

j.r.f

I have just bought BRISTOL AND THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919. STONE & WELLS.Published by ARROWSMITH BRISTOL.1920.

This is the story of Bristol During the war.It contains a sort of war diary of the local regiments and units like the MIDLAND FIELD AMBULANCE.there is a section on the Shirehampton remount depot.There is a lot about AVONMOUTH DOCKS;BRISTOL AIRCRAFT;LOCAL INDUSTRIES including a factory producing war gas.

To go with this I have obtained a copy of a manuscript of the ROLL OF HONOUR for BRISTOL 1914 1919.This is a list of those,connected with Bristol,who died in the war.This list is the best they could do in 1920.It must be said however that it is less than complete.I have photographed this list.It gives surname,initials and arm or regiment.Also those who won medals. I have started to research this using CWGC and SDGW.I am up to the cs at the moment.I intend,as time allows to research this as much as I can.The end section of this manuscript contains a list of,ALL ?,those who won medals in the war,giving surname.initials,arm or regiment and the medal or medals won.This again I will research as time goes by.

If you would like any information from the above then I will do my best to oblige.

CHEERS.

JOHN.

• 1 month later...

Hi John,

I have only just read your post and I am interested in anyone with the surnames ;

DEW

WILLINGTON

EVANS

DAVEY

All above are family names and all originate from Bristol. I have already researched a few

of my family but not all. There may still be some that did not survive ( I am sure there are a couple according to my Nan) which I have not started researching yet. Any names regardless of how many

you can provide will start me off and narrow down. The regiments I have come across so far are

The Gloucesters, The Wiltshires and the RMLI. I am not sure if you need exact info, I have some names

if you need them. If you are still compiling then do not worry as it will take some time to start any

more people as I have a few projects on the go.

Regards,

Simon.