Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Man

andy1400

Whilst going through my local paper for the war years I have come accross the mention of William Ernest Richardson who was killed between the 21st and 27th of March 1918. It mentions his wife and says that he was from Raunds, Northamptonshire. The paper gives his regiment as Surrey Regiment. It could be that his name was Ernest William. Could anyone help please?

Thanks

Andy

There is one William E.Richardson on the MiCs for East Surrey Rgt {albiet amongst a few Williams} A search of the CWGC Site should find him as a Casualty

Thanks for the info.

I have looked on CWGC and could not find him. He is not on the War Memorial and until we found the paper article we did not know of his existance.

Andy

Thanks. Where can I go from here? It was in the newspaper and his family details were included so he must have been killed.

Any ideas anyone?

Andy

The only thing I can think of is that just possibly his name was published wrongly in the Paper @ the time,are there any similar Names on the Raunds Memorial?[or in a different Regt]

I couldnt find any Surrey Regt W E/E W Richardsons on the CWGC either for 1917/18

I even check S@D just in case!!

Thanks. It could be a spelling thing, there are Richardsons and Richards on the memorial. I will have to go down that road. There is a William Ernest Richards killed earlier in the war which does not help things.

Andy

andy a lot of men were reported killed in the march offensive,but turned up as POWs,i have found quite a few in the manchester papers,some even had pictures as well as family details,bernard

Thanks. Thats a good lead, maybe he will turn up in one of the later papers if that is the case.

Cheers

Perhaps reported dead in error. Lad on a couple of the Stamford memorials came home in the 1920s. Got removed from one, his name is still on the other, and caused me no end of issues until I found out what had happened to him.

i have just found another,this bloke won the MM theres a picture and a full write up about him,killed on 21st march 1918,but i cant find him in SDGW or CWGC,.

sgt ernest leigh

manchester regt

bernard

I am going to go through some more of the local papers on friday, maybe he will turn up there as a prisoner or something.

Thanks for all the help.

Andy

Just to close this one down. We returned to the library this week and found an article three months later saying that his wife had received a letterfrom the Chaplain of a POW camp to say that he was alive but wounded and had lost the sight in one eye. Thanks to everyone for their advice

Cheers

Andy