Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Long Service and Good Conduct Medals 1901 - 1919

zotiades

Hi All

Hope I'm posting this in the right place...

I just paid for two dowloads from the NA for the above Long Service and Good Conduct Medals, which covered these regiments:

1901 - 1912

South Wales Borderers, Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Scottish Rifles, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, East Lancashire, East Surrey, Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry, West Riding, Border, Royal Sussex

1913 - 1919

Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Scottish Rifles, Inniskilling Fusiliers, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, East Lancashire, East Surrey, Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry, West Riding, Border, Royal Sussex, Hampshire, South Staffordshire, Dorsetshire, South Lancashire, Welsh

As you can see, East Surreys are in these lists - but I couldn't find the name I was looking for (I know grt grandfather had at least 2 GC medals as I have the military records that mention them - but I was looking for specific dates).

Ah well...anybody know why his name wouldn't be on there?

Since I now have tons of irrelevant information on the above - if anyone wants me to look something up, just give me a shout. Can't promise to be quick, though, as I'm only online during quiet spells at work.

Please state their full name and regiment when enquiring - thanks.

Regards

Athenalaz :)

Are you sure your Grandfather had the Long Service & Good Conduct Medal{18 Years},as only one of those would be awarded,{NB:bars for further periods of Service were not introduced until some time after WW1},however Men were awarded "Good Conduct Badges" which would be anotated on their Record of Service,but would not be on a Roll,If he did receive the LSGC then possibly it falls outside of the time frame of the NA Papers.

Hello Harry

I'm not at all sure, to be honest. I have some military records of his which show that he joined up in Jan 1914 - was transferred to the 1st Class Army Reserve in 1913, back in service in 1914 with the BEFs (under the East Surrey Regiment). Discharge paper is dated 1920.

On the 1913 transfer paper, it says "Number of GC Badges - TWO".

I was expecting to see his name somewhere on the lists - but nothing.

Thanks for your input -

Athenalaz

Oh silly me...have just realised that there's a difference between "Badges" and "Medals"...yes, I see now that he wouldn't be on a roll for "GC Medals" then.

Regards

Athenalaz