Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Guest Gerd

Hi Folks,

I'm interested in the history of Richard Henry Laity, Private No. 41710, 8th Bn., Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, who died on the 9th. November 1918 and is buried on Cologne Southern Cemetery, Germany. Does anybody know about the history of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, where they fought etc.?

Let me tell you a bit of the story how I became interested in his fate.

We (my family and I) are regular summer holiday makers in Perranuthnoe,Cornwall since 1994 and one day we saw the inscription on the war memorial in front of the church, one of the mentioned soldiers Richard Henry Laity, who lived in the village. Years later I found the place of his grave by chance, watching the CWGC site. Cologne is only 50 miles from my home, so I visited his grave. That's, where history and holiday meet.

Last year I started research during the summer holiday, got the Laity genealogy from a local farmer and found out, (besides the information on the CWGC site), that he had a son, born ca. 1914.

So, you can imagine, what I will do during this summer holidays. It would be a great help, if there is anybody, who can give me hints to the history of the battallion.

Thank you all in advance

Gerd

By the way, a great compliment to Chris Baker, what a brilliant site, so full of information and emotions.