Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The First World War: Myth and Memory by Dan Todman

armourersergeant

Not seen this title before wondered if anyone has read it and can shed some light.

Read the book he and another did on the diary of FM Allanbrooke and that was good, mind it was just an editng of a dairy! This appears to be very different

regards

Arm

Hi,

Haven't read the book but did see the author talk at the National Army Museum on the day it was launched.

From memory his main point was that our viewpoint of the war is vastly different than that of the soldiers of the day. In his lecture he spent a lot of time looking at the development of dramatic and literture versions of the war and the personalties involved in this.

I don't recall it being mentioned directly but reference was made to the "fact" that more general public mourners attended FM Haig's funeral that Princess Diana's.

I had a look at a copy on the day and it caught my fancy and is now in my "to read" pile- approx. 1 foot down!

Regards

Ali

The study of myths and memories of war are - along with commemoration - a rapidly growing area of academic study at the minute. I haven't read this particular book but it seems to fit into that general area.

I've read other publications in the same broad area, some of which I've found really interesting. The issue I have with some of them is their focus on quite 'high-brow' source material - eg literature, plays etc - which to me are quite removed from the experience of the vast majority of people. But I'm not sure where this book fits with regard to that point, and I'd certainly like to get round to reading at at some point!

Swizz

Thanks for the tip Jonathan :)

I've searched thorugh the posts to read it (it's

here )

Gloria

thanks Jon,

tried to search for it this morning but the search facility was having none of it.

regards

Arm

I had a look at a copy on the day and it caught my fancy and is now in my "to read" pile- approx. 1 foot down!

Yours is bigger than mine ;)

Maybe I'll have to add this one to it!

thanks Jon,

tried to search for it this morning but the search facility was having none of it.

regards

Arm

didnt Gloria find it and post a link?

Yes,

but when I tried to search, the thing was not working and would not search I think the forum was on a go slow. Obviously you, you lazy so and so had stopped peddling!

regards

Arm

:rolleyes: