Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Labour Bn Royal Engineers East Yorkshire

Guest mason

I am new to this site and am trying to find out what I can about my great grandfather. He was James William Crashley a Pioneer with the Royal Engineers 8th (labour) battalion East Yorkshire. His regimental no was 120185. He died on 21/3/16, was sent to France on 25/9/15 and is now buried in Hedon Road cemetery in Hull.

I have looked at his medal card. Can anyone give me any information about what his bn may have been doing in the time around his death? I am a WWI novice and any information that will give me a greater insight into his war experience will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

There is a War Diary for the 8th Labour Battalion RE available at the National Archives at Kew (Reference WO95/4059). It covers the dates September 1915 when they went overseas (which implies that James may have been with them for all his time overseas) to July 1917 (when they were merged into the Labour Corps, though this is of course after James' death).

This doesn't help you much as you are in the USA! However, if you can get someone to look at the War Diary, I'm sure it will help you.

As far as I can remember while I am away from my RE numbers list, the numbers around 110000 to 120000 were allocated to RE Labour Battalions, again strengthening the case for him staying with the same RE unit through his time overseas.

Hope this helps, at least a little.

Steve.

Soldiers Died gives born and resident of Hull, enlisted London. Died, home (= UK, not necessarily at his own home).

The next step might be to obtain a copy of his death certificate, which should give a cause of death, which in turn might lead to further background on his circumstances.

Ian

Mrs Mason

Soldiers Died in the Great War is a multi-volume compilation of the names and details of soldiers from the UK forces who lost their lives whilst in service during the 1914-18 war. It gives names, rank, serial number,

regiment (including sometimes former regiments if the soldier had been transferred to other regiments),

where born, where enlisted, where resident, reason of death (killed in action, died of wounds, or just died), theatre of war in which he died. It is not 100 percent accurate, nor 100 percent inclusive (it is not comprehensive for the period towards war's end and in the subsequent months). But that said, it is a jolly useful source of information for tracking down a serviceman.

Today it is available on CD-rom, as a fully searchable database.

Ian

Mrs Mason,

Hi, Im in Hull and will go up this weekend to see if I can find his headstone, bearing in mind the cemetery got a terrible hammering from the Germans in WW2?

Regards Charles

Charles,

What wonderful photos. How kind of you to do this for me - I just can't thank you enough. It was interesting to see that it looks as though someone has visited the grave fairly recently and left a flower.

Regards

Mrs Mason

8th Labour Bn RE:

With Lines of Communication Troops BEF, 17.6.16

4th Army 1.7.17 - 2 companies with 3rd Army 1.8.17; 2 Companies with Transportation Troops 1.7.17. Remainder with Lines of Communication Units 1.8.17.

Terry Reeves