Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers address, New Barnet, London - mystery?

Chris

Probably very simple answer, but unfortunately not to me. Whilst looking through 1/5th Lincs officers papers at the NA i have stumbled upon a slight query. Two officers; 2nd Lt. Charles Eric Goodall and 2nd Lt. Louis Schiller both record their address for correspondance as Braeside, Park Road, New Barnet.

Now i cannot think that they are related, but please prove me wrong. Can anyone suggest what Braeside was or why they both list it for correspondance?????

Cheers

Chris

They may be related. Cousins, perhaps? One of them might be married/engaged to the sister of the other?

The address may be that of a common relative, or their solicitor, or anything. A fascinating little question in any event, and I hope other Pals can help you get to the bottom of it.

Tom

Or, of course, they may have been gay.

John

How dare you??!!!

Everyone knows that that type of thing didn't happen pre-1970s. <_<

Cheers for all the suggestions, i have whilst you have been busy trying to answer my query gone back to both their records and scrutinsied them. Pity the forms from 1914/15 don't have a sexuality question on them so we may never know on that score.

Goodall - Born. west Dulwich. Resided: Oulton (i think thats what it says) Broad, Suffolk. educated: Greshams School, Holt, Norfolk.

Schiller - Born. Bayswater. Resided: Lyonsdown, London. Educated: Greshams School, Norfolk.

The matching details (correspondance address and school) all appearing on Army Form E.536.

Interestingly they both are commisioned from the school OTC on 6th August 1914.

The school and OTC seems the link to how they know each other but i am going to have to find why they both give Braeside for correspondance.

Chris

I am not convinced they joined the 1/5th Lincs on the same date, which begs another possible question, as to who was able to pull levers to have them posted together. In addition having looked through the Battalion history they are both together again on 8th Sept 1916, working together in no mans land to blow gaps in the German wire in preperation for a raid.

http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search2?col...=2333&inst_id=5

This seems to be the same man - awarded the MC, went on to become a Schools Inspector. Attended school at St. Alban's and Norfolk. It gives his birthplace as New Barnet London so I suppose it's possible that this is his home address, and that Charles Goodall was a school friend whp stayed with him there.

Marina

Wow, Marina, quite a find. And to think that he nearly died. Married with three children though, which tends to discount John's suggestion. :D

Wow, Marina, quite a find. And to think that he nearly died. Married with three children though, which tends to discount John's suggestion. :D

Oscar Wilde was married with children too! :)

Wasn't one of Wilde's sons killed in WW1? IIRC he used an assumed name.

Wasn't one of Wilde's sons killed in WW1? IIRC he used an assumed name.

Found it:

"In London, he met Constance Lloyd, daughter of the wealthy Queen's Counsel, Horace Lloyd. She was visiting Dublin in 1884 when Oscar was in the city to give lectures at the Gaiety Theatre. He proposed to her and they married on May 29, 1884 in Paddington, London. Constance's allowance of £250 allowed the Wildes to live in relative luxury. The couple had two sons, Cyril (1885) and Vyvyan (1886). After Oscar's downfall Constance took the surname Holland for herself and the boys. She died in 1898 following spinal surgery and was buried in Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa, Italy. Cyril was killed in France in World War I."

Marina

A brilliant link, thank you very much indeed. Nice to have more info on Schiller. Actually Goodall also won the MC as well, right at the end of the war, for helping cross a river. Not sure on Braeside being Schiller's home address, as the same form lists another address for residence. I wonder does anyone know which Absent Voter List would cover this area of London, and where it may now be found.

I would be prepared to bet a few quid as well on the name of Schiller's best man at his wedding, being a certain Charles Goodall.

Cheers

Chris

found.

I would be prepared to bet a few quid as well on the name of Schiller's best man at his wedding, being a certain Charles Goodall.

Chris

That is a nice thought that they came through it all together and went on being pals.

Marina

• 1 year later...

2nd Lt George Goodall of the East Lancashire Regiment was killed on 9th May 1915 at Aubers Ridge, he too went to Gresham's, Holt, Norfolk. It was quite a small boarding school in those days (there has been a lot of development since then) and he too was born in London so, although I do not think he was a brother, it is quite possible that he was related in some way. Oulton Broad is near Lowestoft, Suffolk, not that far from the school.

"When Heroes Die" by Sue Smart is about those Greshams OBs that died during the Great War.

Rob Carman.

• 3 months later...

OGs even!