Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMCS Shearwater

scottiedog

Hi - I posted a question here a week or two back about my great uncle's RNCVR cap ribbon and received some really helpful replies. Thanks.

I've now received a copy of his pay ledger sheet. His first posting is given as "Shearwater" (Sh. Est.). Well that's how 'm reading it. See below.

Does anyone know if this means he was based onshore but attached to HMCS Shearwater or was he based at a shore establishment of that name. I know that HMCS Shearwater was the depot ship for the two submarines C1 and C2 and that all three were based on the Pacific coast until 1917. His port division was Esquimalt. On the other hand, for all I know, it could indicate something else entirely :D

... and if anyone knows what the rating E.A. stands for I'd love to know that too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

post-10470-1139856621.jpg

Regards

Les

Hi Had a Naval Good Shootin Medal for the Shearwater, such a lovely ship

Condor Class Sloop 980tons Sheerness dockyard 10.2.1900

On patrol from Vancouver 1914

Converted to depot ship for Canadian submarines CC1 and CC2 in 1915

Source: Send a Gunboat

All the best

John

Les,

I would have to see the entire Service record to attempt to 'translate' the entries for you.

If you could post all of it, or send me a scan that might help.

According to the Articles of War all RN ratings had to be posted to a commissioned ship even if they were on a shore base.

HMCS Shearwater was a Depot Ship (a 'static Receiving ship') at Esquimalt for most her time at Esquimalt. She was a Sub Depot ship for the 2 RCN submarines CC1 & CC2 in 1914 & remained their Depot ship until the two subs moved to with her to Halifax in 1917.

Bryan

Here is a phot of HMS Shearwater taken in Esquimalt around the turn of the 19 C.

The caption states she is wearing the Flag of Rear Admiral Beaumont who was Flag Officer Commanding the Pacific Station at the time.

Bryan

post-1536-1140095274.jpg

& here is another of HMCS Shearwater moored in Esquimalt harbour with HMC Subs CC1 & CC2 alongside & HMS Algerine in the background. The photo was taken in 1914.

Bryan

post-1536-1140095700.jpg

HMCS Shearwater underway with HMC Sub CC1 in the background.

Unfortunately the photo is not all that clear. Taken circa 1914-15

Bryan

post-1536-1140096482.jpg