Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Swally

Hi Guys,

would anyone happen to have the unit histories or war diaries of these two outfits.

Thanks,

Swally

Swally,

16th Royal Scots.

Are you aware this is McCrae's Battalion closely associated with The Heart of Midlothian Football Club?

Jack Alexander(an occasional Forum Member) has written a History of this Battalion "McCraes Battalion" which deals with its formation and service in France 1916-1918.It is a very detailed Book even down to Company Level.

Jack is still looking for further information to supplement his original Book or write a sequel.

I understand that the Royal Scots Museum in Edinburgh Castle has copies of all Battalions War Diaries but assuming you cannot visit you might want to consider obtaining a copy of Jack's Book(If you search through the Book Thread entering "McCraes Battalion" you should find all the relevant information).The Book may answer your enquiry or give you a contact for Jack as he is keen to trace further members of the Battalion.

Sorry I cannot help with the 10th.I could have assisted with the 8th.

George

Tom,

thanks for the reply, I have read McCraes Battalian and a good read it is. There is no mention of any of my uncles in it, but that is not to say they weren't there. I am hoping to go to Edinburgh in the next few months and hope to go to the castle after going to New Registrars House.

All the best,

Swally

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help with information on the 10th and 13th Bn Royal Scots? My grandfather Pte William Tulley of Dundee who joined the 9th Bn in Jan 1915, was later transfered, possibly after being wounded. I am told the 10th was an entrenching battalion but would appreciate any info on either unit.

Thanks.

1/10th (cyclist) Battalion, TF. 4/8/1914 in Linlithgow: Army troops. To East Linton and on coast defence duties at North Berwick until April 1918 and then to Ireland where it was stationed at Claremorris, the Curragh and Port Arlington. By the end of 1916 90% of the original personnel had gone overseas.

Aye

Malcolm