Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help

Guest monkey2

We have a photo and a service book about a soldier called Wilfred Edgar Barnes who served in the North Staffordshire regiment from 1914-1918. He was Lance corporal with a number 8365 written in the book. Any information would be great xx

Monkey2 - welocme to the Forum!!

You have got a wonderful start with a photo and a service book - we have several Pals with a special interest in the Staffords.

Come on guys, let's see where this one takes us!! B)

Wilfrid Edgar Barnes was born in Burton on Trent in 1889. His birth was registered in the September quarter of that year, and he was living somewhere in 'Burton Extra' in 1901. To find out more, you would either have to get his birth certificate or access the 1901 Census website.

Marion

Link to his online Medal Index Card is Here

I see you have his service book so you should know what battalions he served with, download of the MIC (costs £3.50) will show you what his medal entitlement was although I guess that should be in his service book as well.

Steve

Wilfrid Edgar Barnes was born in Burton on Trent in 1889.

If this is the same Wilfred Barnes, he was the son of Robert 48, a plasterers labourer and Mary, 49. They lived at 9 Napier St, Burton.

Hope this helps

Rich.

We have lots of photos of soldiers and a group photo of the north staffs which has no date on. My grandad was Robert Hall who was a cook in the army. Will have a look later for more info about Wilfred Barnes. We are all wondering why my grandad would have his service book? Are these things rare along with the various photos we have? This is a fantastis site.Thanks for all replies xx