Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WILLIAM ANGUS VC

weejock

Congratulations Wee Jock,

First class job done on the research and on your persevarence with the Celtic. Let us hope that the other teams in the league will follow their example.

Thanks,

Neil

If anyone wants more info on William Angus I have the email address of George McNulty, Wiliams nephew who is always willing to answer questions on William and is himself a veteran of D Day landings

Weejock

If anyone wants more info on William Angus I have the email address of George McNulty, Wiliams nephew who is always willing to answer questions on William and is himself a veteran of D Day landings

Weejock

Hello to the Forum

Hello Weejock. George McNulty!! is he the late Jim McNulty's Dad ? I had the pleasure of corresponding with Jim and talked to him on the phone a couple of times, he did a lot of work in regards to Victoria Cross winners not only his Great Uncle "William Angus VC" but also the other recipiants from Carluke and Lanarkshire in general, and I think he had something to do with the Hamilton Victoria Cross Memorial, or was involved in the research for said monument.

Yours Aye. Rob Bulloch.

• 10 months later...

From the CEF Study Group list of Recommended Great War websites - Borden Battery

William Angus VC

The first Scottish Territorial soldier to be awarded the Victoria Cross.

"No 7709 Lance-Corporal William Angus, 8th (Lanark) Battalion, The Highland Light Infantry (Territorial Force) - For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty at Givenchy on 12 June 1915, in voluntarily leaving his trench under very heavy bomb and rifle fire and rescuing a wounded officer who was lying within a few yards of the enemy's position. Lance-Corporal Angus had no chance whatsoever in escaping the enemy's fire when undertaking this very gallant action, and in effecting the rescue he sustained about 40 wounds from bombs, some of them being very serious" [CEF Study Group - May 2006]

http://www.forvalour.com/

Great to see Celtic honour one of the old Bhoys. I loved the website too, especially where it refers to sportsmen and politicans 'recklessly' being called heroes. Its a term too easily devalued when people like Wullie and his pals performed the real deeds of heroism that are worthy of the name.

Here's tae ye, Wullie.

Keith

Hello All. A short update on the William Angus and Celtic FC ..... :angry: STILL NOTHING in the visitor centre about William or the ex Celtic players who were KIA (they had promoised them a mention also)

WELL DONE CELTIC FOR NOTHING. but not to worry ...NEW YEAR RESOLUTION No1... more letters will be sent and more newspapers informed!! :P

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Just to let everyone know that I also claim William Angus to be an Armadale VC, Recipient along with James Crichton VC.

I found the following details from our local newspaper archives.

William’s mother Mary (maiden name Smith), was the daughter of the late Robert Smith, Tarrareoch Farm, Armadale and a sister of Alexander Smith who occupied the farm at the time of Williams VC.

Williams’s parents resided at Tarrareoch Farm, Armadale when he was born their on the 28th February 1888.

After leaving Armadale when William was a Boy, the family went to Carluke.

On leaving school William became a miner, but later went on to play professional Football, initially as a forward with Carluke Milton Rover, then Glasgow Celtic, and after that he was Captain of Wishaw Athletic.

Tom :D

Tom,

In view of your place of work.All you need to do now is convince some of the Royal Scots Historians(I'm sure their Museum do not make the mistake) that Willie Angus was a member of the 8th H.L.I. and his V.C. award honour belongs to that Regiment. :D

George

Hello All. A short update on the William Angus and Celtic FC ..... :angry: STILL NOTHING in the visitor centre about William or the ex Celtic players who were KIA (they had promoised them a mention also)

WELL DONE CELTIC FOR NOTHING. but not to worry ...NEW YEAR RESOLUTION No1... more letters will be sent and more newspapers informed!! :P

Wee Jock

I first learned about Willie Angus about 15 years ago and I was intrigued by his story likewise the same with Walter Daniel Tull the ex-Spurs and Northampton player who signed for Rangers when stationed at the OTC at Gailes. There are conflicting stories in regards to both players as I am only aware of one game that Willie Angus played for Celtic and that was a bounce game as a trialist against Queen of the South in 1911. By all accounts he was the captain of Wishaw Athletic when he was sent abroad with the Highland Light Infantry.

Walter Daniel Tull was a remarkable man who was also a professional football player who was to become the first coloured officer in the British Army. Like Willie and Celtic there is some serious doubts as to his connections with Rangers. Many English based historians claim that Rangers showed an interest in him prior to the war yet there is evidence that he only came to Rangers attention when he was stationed at Gailes and signed for them as a player but he was never to wear the famous Light Blue jersey in a competitive game as he received his commission and was sent abroad where he was later killed.

Over the years I have written to both clubs re their respective players and their war record and have yet to receive a letter of reply from either of them in regards to when they played and how many games if any they played. Because of their lack of records and info on these players I reckon both clubs are reluctant to claim them as their own in case someone comes along to disprove their claims.

I have made contact with Tull's Scots family and have had access to what records that they have on him which includes paper cuttings from the early 1940's claiming that he was in fact a Rangers player and also the first coloured officer in the British Army. Sadly whenever I approach Celtic minded historians in regards to Angus they tend to shun me when they learn I am a 'bluenose'...the fact that I am a Great War buff with an interest in doing a small publication on Great War Sportsmen with a Scots connection seems to be secondary because of the team I support.Saddos. :(

I do have several things on Tull when he was used by the authorities to bolster recruiting figures whereby he attended and kicked off games at Ibrox and Celtic Park for propoganda reasons. I f any of it is of any use to you then let me know and I will get you copies of them.

• 1 year later...
Hi All,

Just to let everyone know that I also claim William Angus to be an Armadale VC, Recipient along with James Crichton VC.

I found the following details from our local newspaper archives.

William’s mother Mary (maiden name Smith), was the daughter of the late Robert Smith, Tarrareoch Farm, Armadale and a sister of Alexander Smith who occupied the farm at the time of Williams VC.

Williams’s parents resided at Tarrareoch Farm, Armadale when he was born their on the 28th February 1888.

After leaving Armadale when William was a Boy, the family went to Carluke.

On leaving school William became a miner, but later went on to play professional Football, initially as a forward with Carluke Milton Rover, then Glasgow Celtic, and after that he was Captain of Wishaw Athletic.

Tom :D

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was looking at William Angus's birth certificate earlier and noticed that this local newspaper areticle has some factual errors.

Williams mother names was actually Margaret Mulloy, not Mary Smith.

He was indeed born 28th Feb 1888, bot not at Tarrareoch Farm. It was in fact 16 Polkemmet Road, Armadale.

It's amazing the details that some papers can get wrong, isn't it?

Does any member of the Forum have access to Cpl Angus' MIC?

I am interested as to whether he landed with the original Company in France, on the 5th November 1914, or was a member of one of the later drafts to the Battalion.

TIA

George

Very moving thread and very informative thread and I must also say wee jock your Website "forvalour" was top class. I hope to visit the Battlefield very soon. Thanks for the information. Can anyone confirm which trench they where in at the time?

Regards,

Phil

Phil,

From the Battalion War Diary.

10th June 1915-Battalion relieved 2nd Queens and part of line held by 16th Canadian Battalion on Givenchy Hill-Headquarters at Windy Corner.

George

Thanks George I was a bit confused as the website stated point 14 but could not locate it. Would I right in saying they where holding the line between Appox Down street to Upper Gut?

Regards,

Phil

Phil,

On that one I can't help you. :D

The only other bit of factual information I can add,again from the War Diary.

13th June-The Battalion was relieved by 2nd Scots Guards.

So hopefully a Trench Map,Queens,Canadian or Scots Guards expert will wander along.

George

• 4 weeks later...

I joined this site because I was interested to find out more about the first world war for research for my book. I was thrilled when I found this thread and saw, my grandfather, William Angus' name. I knew Granda the gentle, quiet and soft spoken gentleman who made salty porridge that I hated and wrapped us all in cotton wool. He was our hero, not for the heroic deed he carried out, but because his family was his life.

I received an email quite a long time ago now about Celtic which I answered, but I never heard anymore. I would be very, very interested in the outcome of this. I also received my family photos amongst which was the only photo of my mum as a child. This pleased us as my mum is now buried with granda in the wilton road cemetery.

I will watch for updates on this thread with interest. I will also be sure to tell my Uncle Harry, his surviving son. :rolleyes:

Mairi

Ma,

Your Grandfather was a brave Man,to find Mr Martin,and make sure,he was was safely brought Home.

Whether,your Grandfather played for a specific Team,before,the War,is objection to question.

You,re Grandfather,lived,his live,with his wounds,and the total respect of Mr Martin.

You're Grandfather was fond of Mr Martin,end of story,and as a brave Man he was able to live his life,post-War.

George

Great to hear from ma a family member hope we all get a positive outcome

Your Grandfather was a brave Man,to find Mr Martin,and make sure,he was was safely brought Home.

Whether,your Grandfather played for a specific Team,before,the War,is objection to question.

You,re Grandfather,lived,his live,with his wounds,and the total respect of Mr Martin.

You're Grandfather was fond of Mr Martin,end of story,and as a brave Man he was able to live his life,post-War.

George

My granda was a very quiet, shy man. I really do wonder what he would make of all this if he was alive today. It certainly has made me think. He never talked about what he had done.

He went on to lose one son (missing in action) in the second world war and two others were put in prisoner of war camps.