Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli,The Fatal Shore.

stu

I have just seen Gallipoli,The Fatal Shore,by Harvey Broadbent.

I was wondering if anyone had read it,and was it any good.

Many thanks.

Stu

The answer is Yes, although I have only recently got the book and had a quick skip read through.

In the preface he asks the question "Why one more book on Gallipoli?". His objective was to provide a balanced general approach to the campaign, to include British and Turk perspectives instead of just an Anzac one. Does he succeed, well almost. It is still heavily 'Anzac', but I would say more of a balance than some other books from the southern hemisphere. And for a mention of the French, well nothing stands out.

On the whole I would recommend it. There appears to be a lot of original source material and it is well written. Its proudly sitting on my Gallipoli shelf at the moment waiting for a thorough read this Spring. Hunt around and there are some book shops doing the book a fair bit cheaper than the cover price.

Hi Krithia,

Many thanks for that,I will probably go out and get it now,it looked good the other day when I saw it,I must say it seems to be well illustrated,but I thought I would get an opinion on it first before parting with my money.

Also on my to buy list are Gallipoli by L.A. Carlyon and Jacka's Mob,Iam mostly interested in books that include a fair amount of personal accounts like those by Martin Middlebrook and Lyn MacDonald rather than books about stratgedy,do you have either of these books and are they also any good.

Many thanks.

Stu

Carlyon's "Gallipoli" is excellent, as is Rhodes James "Gallipoli" book. There is a link on the forum somewhere that has reviews on these books, maybe worth checking it out.

A memorable book which features Gallipoli - "Hell's Foundations" by Geoffrey Moorhouse. This a socio-military history which examines the impact of the campaign on the town of Bury. More quirky and controversial - 'The Vanished Battalion' a.k.a 'All The King's Men' - an account of the Sandringham company of the 5th Norfolks which 'disappeared' in mysterious circumstances while engaged near Suvla. There is also a factual account, imaginatively titled 'Gallipoli' by Robert Rhodes James, who was Conservative MP for Cambridge, I think.