Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army policy on brothers enlisting?

iona

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, but have been checking in here over the last few weeks and have found it to be an invaluable resource. I greatly appreciate all of your contributions.

I recently discovered that I had a great uncle who was killed in action in 1916 aged only 18, having enlisted at the beginning of the war. I've been gradually getting bits of information together, and now realise that he had three older brothers, all of whom (I believe) survived the war. Now, two brothers enlisted in the Notts and Derbyshires and two in the South Staffs, and I'm assuming that this was a deliberate action either on their part or that of the army.

Does anyone know if it would have been deliberate army policy to split this many brothers (in the hope that some/one would survive and return to the family?)

All the best

iona

Search Long Long Trail site for 'two brothers died on the same day' - very enlightening.

In terms of Pals/Service Btns. it was not unusual for brothers, fathers and sons etc to join up and serve in the same Btn.

Someone else may be able to shed light on whether that changed as a matter of policy as the war progressed.

In terms of men going to Btns. sometimes it could as simple as .. every men to the left is now in the Xth Btn.!