Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Company Training' by R. Haking (General)

armourersergeant

I was wondering if anyone has read this book?

Also from a perspective of how good was it to the men who used it? I have read that Charles Messenger in his excellent book 'Call to Arms' says it was used extensively by new officers.

I was wondering also if it reflected in Haking's style of Generalship on the Western front?

He was to all intents and purposes a solid intelliegent officer in practice before WW1 it is during it he seems to go down hill!

regards

Arm

It is an excellent and attractively produced book ..... mine is fourth impression, 1914, £12 several years ago.

He is clearly a thoughtful and educated officer [brigadier-General at time of writing] and first chapters are:

The Elelement of Human Nature in war

The effect in war of habits gained during peace

The art of indoor instruction

The art of instruction on the ground.

I like it very much and can recommend it.

Cheers LB

Arm

• 4 months later...

I have seen it, though I haven't had time to read all of it through, and I hope to one day have my very own copy that I can lovingly read at leisure. Aussies who want to see it can look in the University of Adelaide Barr Smith Library (though a page is missing from their copy, and no, I didn't tear it out!).

Haking seemed, in the book, like a clever and careful man. Of course he was training and writing for the sort of open warfare that was soon to vanish from Europe, but he was by no means the only one not to foresee what was coming.