Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repair and Re-bind

Rob Bulloch

An old collector friend of mine who is doing some down sizeing gave me a very old book. It is a large Vol it measures 11.1/2 inches wide by 15.1/2 in hight it is cloth covered and is in a bit of a state it is called

OLD SCOTTISH REGIMENTAL COLOURS. it is writen by Andrew Ross, SSC, its print date is 1885 it must have been a special edition because it is numbered as 397 it has 35 full size oilette prints of old Scottish Regimental colours that hung in St Giles Cathedral.

I am posting in the hope that someone with a knowledge of old books could advise me is it worthwhile haveing this wonderfull old book re-bound, as I said it is in a bit of a state.

Too Bind or Not To Bind That Is The Question.

This is not WW1 related I hope the members do not mind. Yours Aye Rob Bulloch.

...OLD SCOTTISH REGIMENTAL COLOURS... ...by Andrew Ross, SSC, its print date is 1885...

My old favourites ABE Books have 3 copies

Ranging from £497 to £600.

Rebinding is somewhat cheaper and would help prevent damage to the pages within.

zoo

An old collector friend of mine who is doing some down sizeing gave me a very old book. It is a large Vol it measures 11.1/2 inches wide by 15.1/2 in hight it is cloth covered and is in a bit of a state it is called

OLD SCOTTISH REGIMENTAL COLOURS. it is writen by Andrew Ross, SSC, its print date is 1885 it must have been a special edition because it is numbered as 397 it has 35 full size oilette prints of old Scottish Regimental colours that hung in St Giles Cathedral.

I am posting in the hope that someone with a knowledge of old books could advise me is it worthwhile haveing this wonderfull old book re-bound, as I said it is in a bit of a state.

Rob,

In a previous life I worked rebinding books, good money in that, I'm not sure what prompted me to join the colors!

The biggest question to ask is if there a possibility the leaves of the book could be damaged? In other words are the boards of the book, and the binding sound enough to protect the pages from damage, or perhaps even loss of some pages?

If the answer is no, then I would rebind. If the binding is sound and the damage is superficial, then that is up to you. You don't detail what "in a state," exactly means.

Having a book rebound is expensive (or at least it was 20 odd years ago when I worked as an apprentice.)

With older books one of the things we favored was building a box for the book to add extra protection to the edge of pages with brittle paper.

A good bookbinder can redo the book in a way that will preserve its original style, or just do what you want.

Paul

i have had a number of books rebound/repaired at a very reasonable cost and have always been very pleased with the result, in fact i will quite often buy damaged but complete books with this in mind.

Thanks Zooloo, Paul and Barkalotloudly.

Thanks for your input, the book if left untouched will no doubt fall apart, the spine has parted from the pages and there is some minor loss of of the fabric cover on the top and bottom of the spine the gilt lettering is still complete, the boards are also loose with badly bent corners, (Paul I think I will take your idea and get a box made) all the pages are in place as well as the protective tissue sheets but the prints pages are of a much heavier paper and some of them are loose the further back you go in the pages the worse it gets, I think I will get a bookbinder to look at it, but I will get a box or a sleeve made for it to save any further damage.

Thanks again. Yours Aye. Rob Bulloch.

Hi Barkalot

i have had a number of books rebound/repaired at a very reasonable cost and have always been very pleased with the result

Is it lawful to share details of your binder and rough order of costs on this site? If so, would you? If not, would you PM me?

Cheers

Chris

Chris, i have some more books to be repaired when i go and see my bookbinder i will send you some ideas of the costs,

regards john

John could you post the information as I have some which need attention.

John

John.

Is there any chance you could send me a copy of the cost for book repairs in the UK, just to compare the prices with what I have been quoted here in Canada.

Thanks Rob.

Chris, i have some more books to be repaired when i go and see my bookbinder i will send you some ideas of the costs,

regards john

Thanks, John, look forward to your PM or posting.

Chris