Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CCSs in 1917

bcarleton

Does anyone know the identity of a CCS (or aid station?) that would have been serving the British/ANZAC front line near hill 63 (north of Plugstreet - just west of trench 122) in June 1917? Did these units have official histories or records?

I'm trying to trace a wounded great uncle from AIF 44th Btn who was shot during a trench raid to evacuation to a hospital in England.

In addition, I'm trying to identify the CCS my grandfather could have been in (I think from gas exposure) February 1917 where-ever the 152 Heavy Battery RGA (part of 84th Bde I think) in the Belgium/France line (sorry I can't do much better than this, regimental history incomplete).

Re: CCS for Messines, June 1917.

I've posted this in a thread you contributed to under Women in the War, but I've just seen this thread. Apologies for any delay!

Hill 63 was the point of division for the evacuation of casualties in the Anzac sector. North of the Hill, wounded went to CCS in Bailleul (#2,8,53, and 11 just south of the town).

South of Hill 63, the wounded went to # 2 Australian CCS at Trios Arbers or to #11 CCS just south of Bailleul on a railway siding. #11 was closed on 9 June due to enemy shelling. Mainly the "walking wounded" had gone to #11 - some 4310 in just 3 days! The more seriously wounded went to the others.

I have no idea if records exist.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Andrew