Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Longest daylight raid

Michael

RFC/RAF experts

I've just uncovered a letter by Capt Mason-Springgay (ex-Buffs) in which he claims to have carried out the longest daylight bombing raid during WW1. Is this correct, and if so what were the details of the raid.

He doesn't give a date in the letter.

Michael

I know his name is Wilfred Henry Mason-Springgay.

I'll do some checking if Terry, Dolphin, Lee & co don't step in. But at the back of my mind, I am sure he was part of the Independent Force, formed in the last few months of the year (1918).

I am sure it must have been a raid on Germany, for him to class it as the longest daylight raid.

Because it is a daylight raid, it will probably be a DH9 (a?), rather than a Handley Page which was usually flown at night.

Hopefully more, later.

Interesting that there was a Serjeant Sidney Mason_Springgay in the E Kents also. Related..??

If you do a google search on "mason springay" (note one 'G') you'll find a reference to his widow(?) "wife of fred" who is buried in Poole.

What's the date of the letter...?

Hi

The letter mentions that he left the Buffs in 1917 to transfer to the RFC. After a brief training period he returned to France to join 55 Squadron of the Independent Air Force under General Trenchard. They were apparently the only squadron in France using DH4’s equipped with 275 Rolls Royce engines. They were the first squadron to operate under Trenchard to carry out daylight bombing over Vosges, bombing German towns “as reprisals for Zep raids over London”. He took part in at least 37 daylight raids and 14 reconnaissance missions.

He claims to have taken part in the longest daylight bombing raid in WW1 (6 planes to Cologne).

After the armistice he served in the Indian Army and was in Queen Victoria’s Corps of Guides on the North West Frontier. This was until 1920 when he went to Egypt with the 2nd battalion. He demobbed in Egypt and returned to England in 1923. He then went to Nassau in December 1923 then emigrated to USA where he had been living for 43 years.

Although there is no date on the letter, I presume it was written in about 1966.

I’d be grateful if you could corroborate his story and add any detail to it.

I believe that Sidney was eventually commissioned but have only just started transcribing the 2LTs medal rolls

Michael

PS I JUST NOTICED IN MY NOTES THAT HE TALKED ABOUT THE ANNIVERARY OF THE RAID BEING ON AUGUST 3RD.

According to WE Johns (who went on to write the Biggles books) and was in 55 Sqn, there was an attempt on bombing Cologne - but, due to the weather, the target was chenged, en route, to Duren some 155 miles away from their base at Azelot.

There is a very nice web page about WE John's time with 55 Sqn - he joined just after the aborted raid on Cologne (but mentions it) - by a relative of another squadron member 55 Squadron Page by WE Johns. There is a photo of some squadron members, with a few unknows. I wonder if your man is there...?

Cross and Cockade, in 2002, Volume 33/ issues 1,2, and 3, also reproduced the diary of Captain Orlando Lennox Beater DFC, but his time ended in early July 1918, so the Cologne/Duren raid won't be mentioned.

August was a really bad month for 55 Squadron, with many planes lost. But no planes were lost until the 8th August.

I am sure that other, much more knowledgable people on this forum can help you further - or my chums at The Aerodrome.

A very good new book on the work of the Independent Force was recently published: 'Independent Force' by Keith Rennles [iSBN 1 902304 90 X]. It lists the composition of every raid carried out by the daylight elements of the IF and shows that No 55 Sqn's DH4s set out for Cologne, but diverted to Dueren on 1 August. However, I can't see mention of Lt Mason-Springgay.

There were two formations:

Capt F Williams & 2Lt E R Stewart

Lt D J Williams & Lt G N Tressider

Lt P M Payson & 2Lt J A Lee

Lt C M Cunningham & 2 Lt H H Bracher

2Lt J B McIntyre & Sgt G Howard

Sgt A W Mepsted & 2 Lt J R Fox

Capt D R G Mackay & 2lt H C T Gompertz

Lt C L Heater & Sgt A S Allan

Lt G T Richardson & 2Lt T F L Myring

2Lt W J Pace & Lt D W Stewart

Lt E P Critchley & Sgt S E Lewis

2Lt P J Cunningham & 2Lt L J Ward

The Squadron's next raid was a mission to Romas/Rombach on 8 August.

I'll keep looking for mention of the man in question.

Capt Mason-Springgay is certainly mentioned in 'Independent Force' but he served before August 1918.

He was born on 20 November 1893 in Kent and worked as a secretary at the East Kent Railways from 1910 to 1914, when he enlisted in the East Kent Regiment. After being awarded the MC on 9 August 1917 while with the East Kents, he went to No 1 School of Aerial Gunnery on 14 November 1917. He then joined No 55 Sqn on 22 February 1918. He was hospitalised on 23 March and returned to No 55 Sqn where he was commissioned Lt observer 24 May 1918. He was again hospitalised, this time with jaundice, on 27 July 1918. On return to Home Establisment and recovery he taught map reading.

The following missions as a Captain, and observer to Capt F Williams, are recorded:

8 June reconnaisance in A7837;

9 June reconnaisance in B3967;

8 July bombing raid to Dueren;

15 July bombing raid to Offenburg;

20 July bombing raid to Untertuerkheim. His jaundice on this mission caused him to mistake another DH4 for an enemy aircraft, and Capt Williams had to disturb his aim by sharply banking the aircraft.

Unfortunately, No 55 Sqn's records of observers on missions aren't complete, so the above may not be the full list of his operations.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the time taken to look this stuff up.

I've never looked at squadron records at the PRO. Am I likely to find anything more than you chaps have already told me ?

Michael