Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lily Reiach BCK 11 sank off Durazzo February 1916

Guest jock075850

Guest jock075850

I have some research on the above fishing boat (Steam Drifter) which was sent to assist the fleet bottled up in the Adriatic sea off the Albanian coast in 1916. A distant relative of my wife, Robert Grant, died when the fishing trawler was sunk with all hands on 25th February 1916. I don't know much else about her, about two weeks before she was lost she captured a German U Boat in her nets but the submarine managed to wriggle free.

The Lily Reaich had been built in 1908 at Smith Dock Ltd of North Shields, 82.5 feet long and 88 GRT. Robert Grant left a widow Barbara Ann Robertson and an infant daughter Mary Ann. Barbara later remarried and had a large family.

If anyone has a photo of the Lily Reiach it would be appreciated.

Hello

Here is the list of personnel lost in LILY REIACH.

BUCHAN ALEXANDER 2nd HAND, RNR S A 1311 LILY REAICH 25/02/16

CLATWORTHY JOSEPH H. ENGINEMAN, RNR E S 2529 LILY REAICH 25/02/16

CORDINER DAVID DECK HAND, RNR D A 5155 LILY REAICH 25/02/16

DAVIDSON CHARLES TRIMMER, RNR T S 2535 LILY REAICH 25/02/16

DEAKIN HAROLD B. TY/S/LT, RNR LILY REAICH 25/02/16

FISHER GEORGE A. DECK HAND, RNR (S.S.) S D 3249 LILY REAICH 25/02/16

GRANT ROBERT TY/SKIPPER, RNR LILY REAICH 25/02/16

HOWES ALBERT C. TRIMMER, RNR T S 2499 LILY REAICH 25/02/16

JEFFREY THOMAS DECK HAND, RNR D A 8337 LILY REAICH 25/02/16

WEIR WILLIAM TRIMMER, RNR T S 2473 LILY REAICH 25/02/16

All best

don

Hi all,

from PRO-records I have LILY REAICH sunk on 25.02.1916 at 17.15h off Kap Laghi, near Durazzo.

Apart from the 10 dead mentioned by Kin47 there was 1 survivor rescued by Drifter "Clach-Na-Cudin".

The german/austrian U-boat captured some weeks before her sinking isn't traceable, maybe it was one of many similar false reports !?

But LILY REAICH was one of 6 Drifters which rescued survivors from italian auxiliary cruiser "Città di Palerma", sunk on the morning of 08.01.1916 off Brindisi.

Oliver

Hi,

additional info to the reported catching of an U-Boat:

On 08.02.1916 at 07.30h the LILY REAICH and HELENORA reported an U-boat in their nets, 1,5 miles WSW of southern tip of Saseno Island, west of Corfu, both Drifters dropping depth-charges.

But as I told you, there was no U-boat near, maybe a big (and unfortunate) fish ?

Oliver

Guest jock075850
Hi,

additional info to the reported catching of an U-Boat:

On 08.02.1916 at 07.30h the LILY REAICH and HELENORA reported an U-boat in their nets, 1,5 miles WSW of southern tip of Saseno Island, west of Corfu, both Drifters dropping depth-charges.

But as I told you, there was no U-boat near, maybe a big (and unfortunate) fish ?

Oliver

How do you know there was no U Boat near!? Given that a number of the crew of the Lilly Reiach were from the north east Moray coast I don't think they would have let a fish go!!!

Thanks for the info anyway.