Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J Simpson, Machine Gun Corps, died Armistice day

Guest Brubish

I came across your wonderful forum whilst trying to trace my paternal Grandfather, who was Pte James Maxwell Simpson.

From the War Graves Commission, I've found out that he died on 11th November 1918 and is buried at the Wallsend Church Bank Cemetery. He was in the Machine Gun Corps (Infantry), service no. 114304, although our family always thought he was in the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Is it likely I'll be able to find out where he served and in what battles he was involved, including where injured or killed?

Thanks

Brian

If you go to the link below, you will be able to download his Medal Index Card (£3.50). This may give you further information including the date he first went overseas - possibly any previous regimental service as well.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

These index cards also contain references to the appropriate pages in the Medal Rolls themselves held at the NA in Kew.

He died in the UK and so his death certificate will give you the cause of death.

I've looked at his Medal Index Card and it simply states Machine Gun Corps.

There are a few people on the forum who follow the MGC and they may be able to help you.

Bad date to get it by the way.

Best wishes

Des

Sorry Terry - bad choice of words

Just looked at the 'free version' - so as you rightly say, there mey well be reference to other units served with.

Although it would be a broad experience that the 'free version' usually makes mention of such service progression?

A quick reference to the CWGC site will tell you that 114304 JM Simpson was previously 45806 Yorkshire Regt (Green Howards). He transferred to the MGC on or about 3/9/1917. Sorry I can't tell you his battalion with the Yorkshires - you would need to appeal to any Forum user who might be able to tell you based upon his number.

Because he died at home, his old MGC unit is missing from the CWGC records.

I can tell you, however, that 114306 Pte Owen O Morgan (only two numbers away) also transfered-in from the Yorkshire Regiment with a number 45726. He served in the 63rd Bn MGC and there is a distinct possibility that Simpson was in the same unit. The 63rd was the RND Bn, composed in the main of sailors serving as soldiers, from the Anson, Drake, Hawke & Hood and RM sections of the Royal Naval Division. Between March - November 1918,they served in the battles of St Quentin, Bapaume, Ancre,Albert, Drocourt-Queant, Canal du Nord, Cambrai, Niergnies, and Grande Honnelle. Do you know when he was sent home? It will be difficult to guess where and when he was wounded without some other clues.

Oops - I thought brubish had all the info from CWGC. Apologies Bru!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

These index cards also contain references to the appropriate pages in the Medal Rolls themselves held at the NA in Kew.

Terry and Co,

The response from this group is fantastic. In a few minutes you've added significantly to our family knowledge!

I've bought and downloaded the Medal page that shows six cards, starting in Aug 1915 with my grandfather in the R.E.

Thanks for opening up a whole new avenue of research. I had missed the additional info from CWGC that you also pointed out.

Bless you all.