Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Gordon Highlanders attack 18/8/16

BottsGreys

According to its War Diary (now online--thanks goes to gnr.ktrha for posting the recent "heads up.") the 1st Gordons assaulted at Maltz Horn Farm at 2:45 pm on 18 August, 1916. "1st objective gained but attack failed with heavy losses: 260 casualties."

Would anyone be privy to a more detailed narrative of this action?

Thanks for your consideration,

Chris

Hello,

Glad you liked the link :) . The original War Diary has more information in it. I was lucky enough to see the original at the Gordons museum a couple of years ago, I was doing a bit of research into a 16 year old who was killed in this action !! The Diary reads:-

Chimpanzee Trench 18th Aug.

''Hazy with heavy mist in the morning. Some showers later. Bn. moved at daylight to trench in front of Maltz Horn Farm for the assault. bn. objective sunken road from ANGLE WOOD to GUILLEMONT, timed to take place at 2.45 pm. 1st objective gained and consolodated for some 400 yards linking up with the 418th French Infantry Regt on the right. Left attack gained 2nd objective but as both flanks were ''in the air'' it was forced to retire to the 1st objective at dusk. casualties:- 3 Offs Killed, 2 Offs Died of Wounds & 2 wounded. ORanks 254 Killed Wounded and Missing''

Hope this has given you a bit more detail. I have a photo copy of this page and also a copy of the map used in a book which is a day by day account og the Battle of the Somme. PM me if you would like copies.

Regards,

Stewart

Although it is not strictly speaking what you are interested in there is an account in this thead:

that gives some background on what the regiments supporting were doing. I'll confess a vested interest at this point!

Adrian