Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver John Turner RFA

peejay67

Hi guys

Its amazing what you guys come up with so Im hoping you can help me. I have searched at the National Archives but I think the records were in the burnt section.

Im looking for any info on my Great Uncle Driver John Turner 650334.

He was killed in action on 6/9/1917 and served in the Royal Field Artillery 86th Brigade C battery

Other than that he was born in Edinburgh in 1894.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Pete Jenkins

Assuming his home was still Edinburgh, you could look at the local papers of the time in the local library there, probably on microfilm. Soldiers killed were reported in the papers each week, often with a photo and usually description of what happened to him.

Or perhaps ring the library and ask someone there to look for you, if too far away. They are often only too glad to help.

Pete,

In case you do not have the Soldiers Died in the Great War info - he is shown as born and enlisted Edinburgh, and Died of Wounds France and Flanders.

I guess you have the CWGC info on him - it gives his age and parent's names, so you can look him up on the 1901 census as well.

To find out more you will need to look at what his brigade were doing at the time, which may give a lead as to how he met his fate.

Ian

The "War Record of the 2nd City of Edinburgh Battery: First Lowland Brigade, RFA (C Battery, 86th Army Brigade)" indicates that on Sept. 6, 1917 Driver J Turner died of wounds suffered that same day. It does not specifically state how he died but does state that "on September 4 the Battery took their guns out of Zillebeke position and went into action at Hell Fire Cross Roads on the Menin Road." During the next three days the battery had 3 other ranks killed, 5 died of wounds, and 10 wounded. Dick Flory

The "War Record of the 2nd City of Edinburgh Battery: First Lowland Brigade, RFA (C Battery, 86th Army Brigade)" indicates that on Sept. 6, 1917 Driver J Turner died of wounds suffered that same day. It does not specifically state how he died but does state that "on September 4 the Battery took their guns out of Zillebeke position and went into action at Hell Fire Cross Roads on the Menin Road." During the next three days the battery had 3 other ranks killed, 5 died of wounds, and 10 wounded. Dick Flory

Thank you so much Dick. Can I ask where you got this book from?

You have all been very helpful. Thank you.

Peter Jenkins

Thank you so much Dick. Can I ask where you got this book from?

You have all been very helpful. Thank you.

Peter Jenkins

Ive noticed a lot of comments about references to deaths during the Great War appearing in local papers with photos. Does anyone know where I can look as he was born and lived in Edinburgh? The Scotsman doesnt seem to turn up any results.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

Usually the old newspapers are held on microfilm at local libraries or heritage centres. I've no idea about Edinburgh, unless his district had its own local paper.

Ian

All newspapers are in the National Library of Scotland www.nls.org and also you may get more info from The Edinburgh Room, Edinburgh Central Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh which is just across the road from the National Library.

You are looking for the Evening Despatch. or Evening News.

Aye

Malcolm

All newspapers are in the National Library of Scotland www.nls.org and also you may get more info from The Edinburgh Room, Edinburgh Central Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh which is just across the road from the National Library.

You are looking for the Evening Despatch. or Evening News.

Aye

Malcolm

Many thanks Malcolm,

Looks like a trip to Edinburgh is on the cards then!

By the way, my Grandfather served in the 17th Royal Scots.

Aw ra best

Peter