Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Procedures / Map of Englebelmer

mikegreene

Its amazing what a lead or 2 from the kind folk of the forum and a couple of days at the National Archives can do ! Sorry for the length of post, but one thing runs into the next...

3rd Casualty Clearing Station Admissions / Discharges Register, 27 Apr 18 shows admission of 9 Royal Fusiliers 48719 Green C Pte with "??? Concussion"

- Can any one read what the word before concussion ? (see attached)

- Is it reasonable to assume that he'd have gone to the CCS on the same day as his injury? If so, the following entry is probably appropriate:

9th Bn Royal Fusiliers war diary, 27 Apr 18: "Both Artilleries active. "B" Coy had 4 casualties in wood N of ENGLEBELMER. 250 men working on CT."

- What is "CT" ? If it is "CT" (See attached).

- Where might I find a contemporary map of the area N of Albert and near Bouzincourt, Mailly Maillet and Auchonvilliers so I can find the wood ? It isn't on modern maps.

He died on 1 May 1918 (6 days after admission / injury) and was buried in the Bagneux British Cemetary that, according to the CWG, the 3rd CCS buried in. Presumably then, he wasn't moved on. I always thought that CCS did triage and that badly inured patients were sent on to a permanent 'proper' hospitals.

- Was it common that that people were NOT moved on from CCS and kept there for several days ?

- Where might I find a map of the exact location of the 3rd Casualty Clearing Station in Apr-May 1918 ?

Lastly, are there other avenues I should pursue to check my theory that, as a member of B Coy 9th Bn Royal Fusiliers, he was blown-up in a wood while serving on a working party, was taken north to the 3rd CCS with concussion until he died 6 days later whereupon he was buried in Bagneux British Cemetary. Or have I got about as good as it gets ?

Thanks again in advance for anything you can offer; I'm off to the Somme the week after next, so I'd be thrilled if I had anything before then.

BRgds

Mike

post-9964-1139615009.jpg

post-9964-1139615379.jpg

I'd say it is medical shorthand for "with" concussion. Use of a "w" for with is still common today for amny docs.

Regards

Andrew

Mike

I have a map that probably helps, but please excuse my ignorance - what army group was Royals in in April 1918 - was it 3rd?

Andrew

Mike

I have a map that probably helps, but please excuse my ignorance - what army group was Royals in in April 1918 - was it 3rd?

Andrew

I'm an Air Force man myself and am not terribly good with Groups and Brigades and Battalions and the like. I am pretty sure though that 9 RF were part of 12 Div if that helps. If not, I have a book upstairs about the Fusiliers during the Great War but it is all prose rather than reference tables.

Thanks again for all you help above, Andrew. Very much appreciated.

Mike

Mike

Here is a map from the Official British Medical History for 1918, Western Front. Shows the movemnent of the CCS # 3 during the German offensive with the final position of it 25 March 1918. As far as I can tell so far, it did not move again (at least not until after the time you are interested in, but I'll re-post if anything else comes up.

With regards to staying at the CCS for several days, I think that is possible - will also get back.

Regards

Andrew

PS Quality of scan is a bit down due to attachment size rule on the Forum. I can send you a better scan privately if you wish - e-mail me via the personal message option.

post-6965-1139619752.jpg

Mike,

You are getting a good selection of info on your chap.

There are several possibilities for his remaining at the CCS:

His condition was too serious to move.

Insufficient transport to move him.

His chances of recovery were obviously very poor and they decided not to make further effort to treat him. (Calous at first glance, but necessary when dealing with large numbers of wounded and with limited resources).

Out of interest, what are the columns on the adjoining page, with figures (finally showing 'died')?

Ian

Mike,

Out of interest, what are the columns on the adjoining page, with figures (finally showing 'died')?

Ian

The entries (L-R) are:

Index Number of Admission. Transfers are not to be consecutively numbers with the admissions but should be left unnumbered or numbered in red ink with a separate series "3863" and, to the left, "T38832" in red crayon.)

Regiment, Bn, Corps or other Unit. "9 Royal Fus"

Squadron, Battery or Company. combined with above

Regimental Number. "48719"

Rank. "Pte"

Surname Christian Name. "Green C"

Completed years of Age. blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Completed years of Service. blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Completed months in field. blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Wounds and Injuries (for original disease). "?? Concussion" (probably "with Concussion" ) (the clerk has not adhered to the roman numeral coding convention in the front of the book for any soldier other than those with gun shot wounds)

Wounds and Injuries (by new disease supervening). blank (only one soldier has an entry in this column)

Date of Discharge (to duty). blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Date of Discharge (by new disease supervening). blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Date of Discharge (by death). "1 5/18"

Date of Transfer (To Sick Convoy). blank (every other soldier has "28 4/18")

Date of Transfer (To Other hosiptal). blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Date of Transfer (From Sick Convoy). "37" (it is the only 37 on the page. Other numbers are 131s (lots), 130s and 36s (quite a few) and other numbers are 5, 150, 109)

Date of Transfer (From Other hosiptal). blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Number of days under treatment. blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Number or designation of ward in which treated. blank (not completed for any soldier on page)

Religion. "12" (most entries are numbers but others are roman numerals such as "Vc" and "VIc").

Remarks. Number and page of case book to be quoted in all cases recorded in it. In transfers the designation of the hospita or sick convoy to which or from which transfered must be noted here and any other facts bearing on the man's destination. Also in moveable field hospitals the place where the admission &c., took place should be indicated. Place of action to be noted in case of wounds and injuries received in action.[/b] "Died" (written in a box) Everyone else has the remark "AT29".

Any idea what the numbers "37" (convoy) and "12" signify ? I figure that the "12" has nothing to do with religion. I'll be glad to send anyone the page or wound classification decode from the front of the register by email if they're interested.

Thanks again to all for your help.

BRgds

Mike

Mike,

Can only speculate about the numbers in the columns. Maybe they are a reference to something other than the column originally intended. Perhaps the books were for use by base hospitals (it does say transfer to 'other hospital') rather than a CCS.

In that case there might not have been 'Sick Convoys' arriving at the CCS, but only those departing. Hence dates in the departing column only.

On that point, perhaps it becomes clear that your man was too poorly to either risk or bother with moving, since the others were removed on 28 Apr.

Only guesswork I'm afraid.

Ian