Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private James J Lincoln

snavek

Jim was an ancestor who survived the war but moved from his native Norfolk to live in the North East. Legend has it that he was wounded, sent to a hospital in the North East and lived the rest of his life with a hole in his arm (sic) as a Splicer? at the pit head near his home at Wickham, Tyne & Wear.

His mic shows he was Private 18395 in the Lancashire Fusiliers and then Private 237131 in the Labour Corps.

I would like to find out more about his Army Service, when he was wounded, which Btns. he was with, which Hospital, etc. Can anyone get me started please?

Keith

Keith

A visit the National Archives might help. I would suggest first checking to see if his service papers survive in the ‘burnt papers’. Failing that, the actual medal rolls should reveal which Battalions he served with and narrow down your search.

If you click on the ‘Long, Long Trail’ link at the top left of this page and then follow the link for ‘Research a Soldier’ you will find good advice on how to further your quest.

If you have, or can find, an approximate date for when he was wounded searching through the local newspapers from the time (if they survive) might produce some leads. These are often held in local archives and libraries or by British Library Newspapers.

Good luck.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Lots of help as usual, I don't get down to Kew as often as I would like but when I do I will certainly follow your advice.

Regards, Keith