Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Correction confirmed by CWGC

Jonathan Saunders

I know from some postings that fellow PALS have contacted the CWGC with additional details when they think an error exists, therefore I thought you might be interested that I have succesfully had the date of death (and thus place of commemoration) amended for a Grenadier Guardsmen I had been researching from my local village.

The reply from the CWGC is as follows:

"Further to my email of 14 July 2003 about Lance Corporal Charles Edward Gransden commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

From the information provided, our Records Section have investigated the matter and have decided that his date of death should be 29 October 1914. In view of this his commemoration on the Loos Memorial is incorrect as the memorial commemorates servicemen who fell in the neighbourhood of Loos and Lens after the 24th September 1915 and have no known grave.

We will now arrange for his commemoration to be added to the Ypres (Menin

Gate) Memorial which commemorates servicemen who fell in the Ypres Salient in the battles and engagements of 1914 - 17 and have no known grave.

We cannot say at this stage when the work will be completed, as it will have to be scheduled into the works maintenance programme. I will write to let you know when it has been carried out, enclosing a photograph of the completed work."

The reason I post this news is if you think you have the evidence to verify a correction then stick with it and contact the CWGC, they will want to correct their own records as long as the evidence against their existing record proves an error has taken place. Also thanks to Terry Denham for his advice back in June and July.

Well done. It wasn't that difficult in the end. Your evidence must have been pretty convincing.

The database will have been amended immediately but you will not be able to see the correction yet as the new site is still using a static copy of the data (as at the end of May). However, when the site starts using the live system in 2/3 months you will see it.

Naturally, it could be several years before the stonework is amended. The new name will probably appear first on the Menin Gate addenda panel with the Loos name only disappearing when the name panels are replaced.

Terry - I expect a lomg wait before both memorials are updated but I am pleased the CWGC agree with my findings and will be changing their central record to detail the correct occasion of L/Cpl Gransden's death. Once again thanks for yr advice in june and July.

Mick - Do you know them? Obviously I would like to get in contact with them or have you already given them copies of the papers I obtained from Wellington Barracks?

Jon

I don't know him personally, though I've often passed the time of day with him - he's got a traction engine and steam lorry in his barn and a Thames barge at the jetty! Also, Maggie teaches his granddaughter.

Lets have a beer and plan our approach. I'm on nights this week so let me know when you're around next week.

Mick

Oh that bloke ... never seen him but he has come up in conversation before. How about next Wednesday in the Three Tuns, 8:45 ish? I will check up how many different branches of the Gransden families were around at that time as well.

Terry.

Probably a stupid question, but in a case like this will the CWGC site still indicate that the place of commemoration is at Loos until the panels are changed in both places? If the database is changed immediately I can imagine a relative turning up at the Menin Gate before this work is done and not being able to find his name.

Neil

Bob is correct.

As I said above, the database will be changed immediately and instructions are then sent to the works dept in the appropriate area to undertake the work as part of their normal schedule.

The new name can appear very quickly depending on many factors including how many other names are waiting. On the other hand it can take some time. Removal of the old name tends to await refurbishment rather than being removed immediately as was done in the past.

The place of commemoration is the location in the database. The stonework often takes a while to catch up.

• 6 years later...

I know that this is a really old post, but does anyone have any info on Charle Edward Gransden 1/Grenadier Guards. I am after any information regarding this man, pre war details, service details or any photographs, memorials of him.

kind regards

dunmore44