Heist - January 1918

German Marine artillerists in feldgrau

post-7723-1139594767.jpg

Heist, towards Duinbergen

Battery AUGUSTA , 3 x 15 cm on concrete platforms

post-7723-1139594987.jpg

wow Cnock,

these are some superb fotos!!!

on a lot of postcards it says 'batterie freya-augusta' , why did they write that? was it because the batteries were very close to each other, or did it have another reason???

regards, wouter

Wouter,

Frey-Augusta

I think they did this after the war because the batteries were close one to another.

On post nr.4 (Augusta)You will see that for help of the gunners, the distances and directions to several land and sea marks are written on the back of the wall.

for example :

lighthouse mole Zeebrugge

A58 ( German torpedoboat sunk in the harbour)

steamer Frigg

Crane Vlissingen.

Regards,

Cnock

Ok thanks Cnock,

I couldn't read it at first...

thanks for this great info!!

grtz wouter

On post nr.4 (Augusta)You will see that for help of the gunners, the distances and directions to several land and sea marks are written on the back of the wall.

Cnock, thank you for this information. It is very interesting. On the other side, the British laid buoys in the water off the Belgian coast. These were designed to provide directional markers for the guns of the monitors. They did not have the ranging information though. I know that the MarinesKorps Flandern artillery relied heavily on the air observers too.

Robert

Robert,

Thank You for You reply.

Battery Augusta had a mediocre range of firing, and didn't need to register the guns with aeroplanes.

It was certainly in action in 1915, when British torpedoboats still dared to come close to the coast.

When the British monitors shelled the Belgian coast, they also used aerial observation.

Regards,

Cnock

Robert,

Thank You for You reply.

Battery Augusta had a mediocre range of firing, and didn't need to register the guns with aeroplanes.

It was certainly in action in 1915, when British torpedoboats still dared to come close to the coast.

When the British monitors shelled the Belgian coast, they also used aerial observation.

Regards,

Cnock

Robert & Cnock,

thank you for this extra information!

Regards,

wouter

• 3 weeks later...

Cnock,

Excuse the sidetrack but you had me wondering for a second when I read Heist.

You may have read about a recent Bank "heist" in UK when 53 Million Pounds were stolen.

You are certain paper money was not used as ammunition?

Sorry again,it is Friday afternoon

George

George,

I am aware that the Germans suffered a shortage of brass and other metals, but not in that way that they would use paper money as munition.

( they safed the paper money for after the war, to make piles of paper money during the inflation)

Some thirty years ago there was an american movie about a bank robbery, called 'The Heist'.

Best regards,

Cnock

George,

I am aware that the Germans suffered a shortage of brass and other metals, but not in that way that they would use paper money as munition.

( they safed the paper money for after the war, to make piles of paper money during the inflation)

Some thirty years ago there was an american movie about a bank robbery, called 'The Heist'.

Best regards,

Cnock

Cnock,

The Weimar Republic, as I recall from my School History days, when People were paid by wheel barrow loads of worthless money. Unfortunately we all know what this unhappy history contributed to.

I'm sure,though,some Holywood Mogul will want to make a film about the current Bank Heist.A Fiction writer could not have dreamed up such a good storyline.

Again apologies for high-jacking the Thread.

Have a good weekend.

George