Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Btn West Ridings

mmm45

Can anyone help.Am reading Bales history of 4th Bat West Riding Regiment and have just come across a couple of queries.What weapon was the CL LE i know the SMLE was the issued rifle for most of the war is this its predessor?

Also can someone let me know where to find the citation for a Pte W Brown 4 WRR who was awarded a DCM for rescuing Lt B A Bell.Is there a DCM register available to read?

Thanks

Ady

Hello Ady,

The citation for 1597 Pte W Brown 4 WRR who was awarded a DCM for rescuing Lt B A Bell.

London Gazette 11th March, 1916

'For conspicuous gallantry when he left the trenches in order to go to the assistance of a wounded officer, rendering first aid and successfully bringing him in. He has done consistent good work throughout'.

Regards,

Ron

Cleckheaton’s Company Sergeant Major Arnold Stirzaker has a DCM, he was wounded on the 3rd September and died a little while later. Regimental Sergeant Major Fred Patchett Stirzaker has a Military Cross, he was shot in the neck and died in 1918 if I remember correctly. I suppose they must be brothers?

They have nothing to do with Holmfirth but I would be interested in any information that comes to light, purely as a matter of interest. I have seen them mentioned in the History of the 1st 4th and would like to know more if anything crops up.

Tony.

Cleckheaton’s Company Sergeant Major Arnold Stirzaker has a DCM, he was wounded on the 3rd September and died a little while later. Regimental Sergeant Major Fred Patchett Stirzaker has a Military Cross, he was shot in the neck and died in 1918 if I remember correctly. I suppose they must be brothers?

They have nothing to do with Holmfirth but I would be interested in any information that comes to light, purely as a matter of interest. I have seen them mentioned in the History of the 1st 4th and would like to know more if anything crops up.

Tony.

Thanks Ron/Tony

Am awaiting stuff from WRR archives if anything does crop up il pass on.

Cheers

Ady.

Long Lee Enfield = LLE, which would be an SMLE predecessor.

CL is a bit more of a mystery. Carbine Lee?

Mists have cleared - Charger Loading Lee Enfield

23 000 produced Ishapore, c.40 000 BSA, c.120 000 Sparkbrook, c.190 000 At Enfield pre WWI. Variety of mks.

What period of time are we talking about as far as the CLLE and 4th DWR are concerned? Do you know when they got their SMLEs?

• 4 weeks later...

What period of time are we talking about as far as the CLLE and 4th DWR are concerned? Do you know when they got their SMLEs?

Taken from the Battalion history

“The Battalion was handicapped a good deal by the C.L.L.E. rifle, with which it was armed. This weapon was much inferior to the short rifle of the Regulars. It usually jammed before ten rounds "rapid" had been fired, and was thus a source of much anxiety. Also, it could not be used for firing rifle grenades as these were constructed to clip on to the short rifle. As time went on short rifles were gradually obtained, but the C.L.L.E. did not wholly disappear until 1916. “